Another Dimension

Those who flock to The Byrds
8mileshigh

Another Dimension

Post by 8mileshigh »

Has anybody picked up a copy of this 2 x 10" vinyl of 5th Dimension out takes??
242_foxtrot

Post by 242_foxtrot »

I should be getting mine this Friday. Can't wait.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Be sure and post a report - cheers, Graham
242_foxtrot

Post by 242_foxtrot »

Hey Graham. Well, my copy of "Another Dimsension" came today. What an incredible album! Sundazed did a wonderful job releasing this(I wish I was a fly-on-the-wall)studio session of The Byrds. McGuinn's 12 string is the rawest, metallic, trebled boosted, high flying sound that I wish.. I had invented. For example. His lead on "Ryder(I Know My Rider)is just amazing. His string bending on 12 string is just breath taking. On the version of "Wild Mountain Thyme". You can finally hear Roger's, beautiful hypnotic lead. Since the version has no string overdubs. Crosby's rhythm playing is just as excellent. His playing on take "2" of "Eight Miles High" is just as powerful as McGuinn's famous lead. As the liner notes state about David's playing,"brashly percussive". Chris Hillman and Michael Clarke, well they never sounded better. Anyone who loves The Byrds needs this release. Hopefully, everyone kept their record players. Because, you can only get this on vinyl.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Where did you guys get your copy?

Cole
242_foxtrot

Post by 242_foxtrot »

Hey J.C. Try www.sundazed.com .
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Thanks Paul - I feel a purchase coming on!
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Same here Paul!

Cole
mark_telfer
Veteran RRF member

Post by mark_telfer »

Chris signed my copy two weeks ago. Unfortunately, he gains no royalties from this album, which is a shame.

Two things strike me about the incredible instrumental version of "I Know My Rider".

McGuinn plays the opening raga lick, then stops for a couple of bars, quite possibly switching his Vox Treble Booster on as the others take over, then comes in again with his supercharged, Paperback Writer-like lead lines.

I keep hearing 9th overtones to David Crosby's chords that I can't hear when I separate the stereo. It's as if he's found a way of representing the entire John Coltrane quartet as the listener would hear it, not to mention the exquisite raga drone with which he finishes each verse.
"But the man has a 47-string guitar." (Grace Slick on Paul Kantner's attempt to tune his 366/12 during a Winterland show of October 31 1969).

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”