Can You Get Rid Of Winfixer?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

admin
Site Admin

Can You Get Rid Of Winfixer?

Post by admin »

My wife somehow got this program on her laptop and I can't get rid of it. Help, it is keeping me away from my Rickenbackers. Is there a straightforward way to get rid of it? Every time I reboot it reinstalls itself.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Here's a method that might work (no guarantees):

Step 1: Dump Restore points, click Start, control panel, double-click System, select the System Restore
tab, check ''Turn off System Restore on all drives.'' Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Restart your computer in Safe Mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 key, select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER, select operating system and press ENTER, when it asks if you want your Windows to run in safe mode, click Yes.

Step 3: Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, and then click Manage Add-ons, click the name of the add-on and click Disable.
If you can't access Internet Explorer, click Start, double-click Internet Options, on Programs tab, click Manage Add-ons, click the name of the add-on, click Disable.

Step 4: Restart Windows in its normal mode. Click Start, control panel, double-click System, select the System Restore tab, remove the check, click apply and OK.

(Actually, what it does is empty your bank accounts into my Swiss account and put all your real estate into my name.)
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Paul. It was a noble try but I was unsuccessful. In the end, about $39 US does the trick in a jiffy. I love a challenge, but this was too frustrating for me. In case you know someone who has given up the ghost on trying, the program is Xoftspy.

I can help but wonder if some companies design "pop-up-ware" to sell you their virus removal tools.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Last time I used this method was a couple of years ago, if memory serves me. Too bad it didn't work for you Peter, but I'm glad that you found something that did!

Your second paragraph is cynical beyond belief. I oughta know...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Re: Peters second paragraph Paul. Well, lets just say that very same insidious thought has also occurred to me.

What better way to sell you anti-whatever than to propagate the very viral infection that it cleans.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Makes sense... it seems that whenever my computer's gotten infected, I got a million ads for something to clean it up...
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”