New P Bass...sort of !

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

desertgoldenboy

New P Bass...sort of !

Post by desertgoldenboy »

Just wanted to share my new aquisition.

I needed a P Bass for studio work, but I'm not really a big fan of their fat necks and limited tonal range. I didn't want to spend a lot, so I picked up this Mex model - a Deluxe Active P Bass Special.

It has a thin J Bass neck, both P and J pickups and active electronics. When I tried one out, I found it to be VERY easy to play (narrow 'C'-shaped neck) and it had a super wide range of tones. It was exactly what I needed...and not too pricey (just over $500 from MF).

I love the color, too. It's called 'Blizzard Pearl' with a gold guard and maple fingerboard. I really do love it (can I say that?). Mind you, it's no Rick! But it has its place in my arsenal.

It came with a gig bag but I have an extra HSC for it.

I'll be selling off a couple of '87 Bass Collections if anyone is interested.
"If things were different...things would be different."
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Since when do MIM Fenders have maple fretboards? That's what I want in a Fender. They look best to me with a maple fretboard, but only the CIJ and MIA models have that.. well as far as I knew.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Oh.. it's a nice bass! I don't like the gold, but it's not mine, so I shouldn't complain about it.

1976 Rickenbacker 4001
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Just found out my wife's getting me a lefty MIM Jazz for Christmas. It's white w/white pickguard, rosewood fingerboard. I've wanted one like that for years.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Mighty Mite makes a good all maple neck with a maple fretboard ...
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

yeah, but the thing that I'm picky about is I want it to say "Fender" on the headstock... but I could go and buy some sort of decal and put it on the headstock.. right?

Does Allparts have the fender logo on the headstock?

Congrats on your new present, Ron!
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

there was a sweet black on black jazz bass on ebay this morning but it's gone. maple neck, MIM. the BIN was cheap! i shoulda snagged it.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Says it was USA... dammit! That's the kind of J I want. Either a Geddy look a like or a black with white guard and maple neck. Grrr.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
desertgoldenboy

Good gift, Ronn! White-on-white...nice!!

Nate, I love this MIM P-Bass more each time I play it. I thought only the US ones were quality, but this thing rocks! I believe it has US parts, then assembled in M. You can get it with either a maple or rosewood FB, and in choice of 4 colors: black, navy blue, candy red or blizzard pearl...all with gold guard.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Don't they have a deluxe MIM J I can get with a maple FB? I'm not very fond of P's. Gold guard isn't a problem.. I could always replace it with a white one.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nice bass Kenn! I recently bought a '97 California P-Bass Special, passive with a GA pickguard in Jetglo, oops, I mean't black! With a Rosewood fingerboard. It does sound very good with the Boomers on it at present. I recorded one tune for our new CD with it. I have already put Hipshot Ultralite tuners on it and a BA II bridge.

This is at a gig I did this past Sept. when it was about 95 degrees F out!

nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

I prefer you with the 4005. Image

Cool looking bass, but I only like maple FB's on Fenders. They just look so good!
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
desertgoldenboy

Looks great, Jeff! I love the gold guards on Fenders or Ricks.

Nate, from what I've seen, Fender does not have a MIM J-Bass with a maple f/b...only U.S. If you're set on the maple, as I was, I urge you to check out the Deluxe Active P-Bass Special for yourself. It's really a P/J hybrid! It has a thin J-Bass neck, plus the noiseless J pup in the bridge position. The reason I bought it was that it's a perfect combo of the two basses...neck & pup of the J, lowdown balls of the P (I needed a deep tone for my studio work).

It also has a pan pot, so you can continually mix the amount of each pickup to your liking. Then there's the HI boost/cut, MID boost/cut and LOW boost/cut pots. I happen to like active electronics.

Still not a Rick, though.

nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

I'll think about it. I just don't like P basses for some reason. I don't know why. Does it come in black? I might get one and add a white pickguard to it.

I'd rather have a MIA J bass.. I want one like the one Sean saw on the bay. I'd rather have a white guard on it.. all black with maple looks best on a P bass for me.. on a J that control plate ruins the look for me.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001

Return to “The Low End”