Help me clean the switch!!!!!!!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ojobob2
Veteran RRF member

Help me clean the switch!!!!!!!

Post by ojobob2 »

the selector switch on my 4003 is a bit tempremental. sometimes when switching "up" to the neck pickup, it cuts out completly. Toggling the switch back and forward quickly usually solves the problem but i hear there are proper cleaning products you can buy
The email address shown is down, you can email me at septic_bullfrog@yahoo.co.uk
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

You can get electrical contact cleaner (or tuner cleaner) at Radio Shack that will work. Spray liberally while toggling the switch back and forth.

If you're sure you won't bend the contacts you can gently slide a clean cloth between them while they're wet with the cleaner.

Just be careful to not get any on the finish!
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

Also, many contact cleaners contain a lubricant that also serves to prevent oxidation etc.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

This is the main reason I do not like this type of switch and perhaps the reason RIC changed the kind of switch they use for the 4004. Every switch of this type always craps out eventually; try lightly scraping the contacts with emory cloth to get rid of the oxidation on them.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I recondition old Rics as a hobby ...

Sometimes that switch is so oxidized that I replace it ... you can get a brand new switch from various Ric dealers ...

You can also get the whole volume, tone, switch, assembly prewired .... I sometime put these in old Rics ... no more scratchy pots, no more flakey switches ... this is a small investment for a classic instrument ...
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

Hey Jeff,

Yep, too bad we can't get the entire thing with the .0047uF cap., eh?!
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Actually I prefer it without the capaciter ... but that is a very easy install ... just remove one wire and solder two connections ...
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Caig DeOxit D5 is the best contact enhancer I have found. It's available in a 5% spray (preferable for cleaning away loose dirt) and a full strength liquid. Leading electronic supply houses sell it, or you can get it direct from Caig Laboratories. Works better than the others, but a little squeeze bottle is about $15 or so. It goes a long ways. I brush a little on my vacuum tube contacts when I change tubes in my amps. Audiophiles use it on their interconnects. I use it on biomedical equipment at work.
ojobob2
Veteran RRF member

Post by ojobob2 »

Thanks everyone! i bought some spray, and my switch is fine (for now)

Again tahnks for the advice!
The email address shown is down, you can email me at septic_bullfrog@yahoo.co.uk

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”