Newbie V59 question

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

vintage_325_guy

Newbie V59 question

Post by vintage_325_guy »

Last year, I took the plunge and bought myself a 325 V59 in mapleglo. After studying it for a while I realised it was the same type of guitar used in the film Backbeat played by Ian Hart as Lennon. Now, it is my first Ric and i love it dearly and I think the Bigsby looks the business - but how does it compare sound wise and build-wise with the newer C58 version?
What is the general consensus with on the V59? Was it discontinued because it was unpopular etc?
Sorry if this has been asked countless times, but i'm merely curious to hear others' opinions on my guitar!

Pete.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Welcome Peter to the Forum.

The 325V59 was/is a great guitar. The whole concept of the V-Series guitars was to re-create versions of Rickenbackers that were made famous by The Beatles. This series was highly successful and was in production for 16 years or so, until the C-Series guitars were put into production...the 'C' guitars are the latest step in Beatle-related Rickenbackers in both authenticity and detail.

The V59 is a Maple guitar whereas the C58 is made of Alder and cut to the dimensions of a '58 325. Sound wise, I think they are pretty similar, but that's my ears.

All in all, two different guitars really...but close in many respects.

The V59 was made as an offering to what John used in The Beatles from 1960 to early 1964, and there were two versions, Jetglo and Mapleglo. In hindsight, the guitar had more in common with a 1959 3/4 Capri in terms of design than the 1958 325 that John owned, but this didn't deter from it's popularity. You have a great guitar Pete, enjoy!!
vintage_325_guy

Post by vintage_325_guy »

Thanks John, for the full response. Well I'm chuffed to bits with it actually, whether it's technically perfect or not to Lennon's guitar, I don't really care - it's near enough for me and plays along with those early albums a treat - fantastic rhythm guitar in general and the best action I've come across. Its 3/4 scale certainly makes those All My Loving triplets easier to play!

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”