Who wants to convert my higains?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Who wants to convert my higains?

Post by loverickbass »

I've got 3 higains from a 340 that need toaster tops; who's up for the job? I tried and failed to do this on my 4003. I need to leave it to someone who knows what their doin'!

Cole
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Well, you've come to the right place, J.C.. Feel free to have me converting your high-gain pickups. For free.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Sergio, I sent you an email. Thank You

Cole
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Reply sent.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Sergio,

Is there any precautions I should take when packing the pickups together? In other words, should I be conserned about degaussing while shipping?

Cole
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Not at all. Just wrap each pickup in a piece of cloth or even paper and pack all three of them tightly (by filling the empty spaces with a suitable packing material) into a small, sturdy cardboard box or the like. Don't worry about degaussing - it will not happen.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Thanks Sergio, I'll get 'um out as soon as the covers come in.

Cole
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

All right.
Four years ago I modded a 4003 treble p.u. by replacing the original polepieces with magnetically-conductive Allen socket screws and replacing the original 'rubberized' magnet with four bar magnets off a DiMarzio P-Bass pickup set. The resulting 'new' pickup was way too hot to handle! Even going through a .0047 capacitor it still had a very high output.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

WoW, I bet it was hot!

These higains have started to grow on me. I really like the higains on my 6 strings. Still prefer the toasters on my 12s. I just don't like the looks of the higains.

Cole
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Sergio, the pickups are enroute to you. Should be there between 5 to 7 days.

Cole
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Okay. I'll let you know when they arrive.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Sergio says my pickups are reading at 12.0K! I think these qualify as Super Higains!

Cole
steve_hershberger

Post by steve_hershberger »

Cole - That's certainly HOT! Are you having them "de-wound" to Toaster range or just get the cosmetics changed?

Whoever owned my '92 360/12v64 de-wound the Toasters before I bought it last year and they sound great to me. However, I think I'll buy some new scatterwounds because my neck pickup broke somehow and I'd rather not have to wait to get it fixed. I'll just pop in the new set when they arrive and get the originals fixed later.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Steve, I'm just having them changed cosmeticly. I really like the higains for my 6 strings but like the toaster look. Toasters all the way for my 12. I usually crank 'um all the way down so I lose a little volume with the higains. It seems to be a good happy medium. I like the jangle of the toasters but it seems to my ear you lose a lot of bass with them.

Cole
steve_hershberger

Post by steve_hershberger »

I know what you mean about toasters not having much bass response. I'm thinking of stacking grommets under the bass side of mine to raise that side a bit.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”