Byrds Box Set

Those who flock to The Byrds
janglebox

Byrds Box Set

Post by janglebox »

Finally! A release date for the Byrds revised and updated box set. Will also include a DVD of live performances from the 60s.

You can read about it in Billboard.

Someone on Ebay is selling a promotional 4-disc version. Looks like the DVD is missing.
Byrds Box Set
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

That's good news. I've always liked the Byrds, but never got into their history. Hopefully this will be a good place to start.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
Don Miller
Veteran RRF member

Post by Don Miller »

Sounds like a good place to start, finish and absorb....Doesnt look like much new or unreleased stuff, aside from the live tracks...if one has the legacy CDs or the first box set...and maybe a boot or two you got that all covered but its a great introduction of youre not familar with the Byrds and their story...or if you want your Byrds tunes all in one place...the DVD should be cool too..
rick36

Post by rick36 »

I don't get it. Virtually all of this material has been previously released. Do we really need another Byrds CD with "Triad" on it?
Why not release the Sundazed material on a CD box instead? That would surely include some great out-takes, alternate versions, mono versions and maybe even some live stuff with different stages of the Byrds line-up represented.
At least they could release the DVD seperately, for those who have 95% of the audio tracks. Oh well...
37012mgvp
Veteran RRF member

Post by 37012mgvp »

I agree with the view that there is too much repackaging going on with the new box set. If they are going to repackage the hits, they should put everything from the Sundazed 65-67 singles collection on the CD's. At least you get a sense of what the songs sounded like on the radio for the first time back then. They should also eventually do a 2CD deluxe version of the Fifth Dimension album, like they did with Sweetheart of the Rodeo. I treasure my "Another Dimension" record, and often wish it was on CD. I am curious as to how much the DVD will overlap with the "Hands of Tyme" compilation, which I think is a fine collection in itself. Hopefully we will see some footage from the Gram Parsons era this time.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

I just finished reading John Einarson's "Mr. Tambourine Man" bio on Gene Clark and it touches on the dissatisfaction that Hillman and Crosby felt about McGuinn's work on the compilation of the original four CD box set of ten years (or whatever) ago.

Hillman hated the artwork and was angry with Roger feeling that he was rewriting history by not including some of Gene's best work from the early years.

It's hoped that this new box set will correct the errors of the past and be a much more classy product.
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

It's hoped that this new box set will correct the errors of the past and be a much more classy product.
This time around, I think there are quite a few things to recommend this updated box set, not the least of which are better artwork, and the "live" DVD.

First off, the sound reproduction is dramatically improved because Sony/Legacy used the remixed masters that were created for the reissues.

Gene Clark is now accorded much better representation—the egregious omission of Set You Free this Time and I Knew I'd Want You on the first box set has been rectified. Sony/Legacy has even managed to add two Clark songs from the 1973 reunion on Asylum: Full Circle and Changing Heart.

Two other inclusions I appreciate are live versions of I Trust and the Earl Scruggs "Banjo Man" acoustic Mr. Tambourine Man. I'm also glad they added Tribal Gathering and Child of the Universe.

Let's face it: no box set is ever going to please every fan. But I'm really glad they updated this box set. The Byrds deserve it.
myfretless

Post by myfretless »

I really like the first Box Set. That one and the Good Vibrations box set for the Beach Boys are my favorite box sets of all time.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

I like it too but the graphics really are cheesy and the omission of those very important Gene tracks is really shameful.

db
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I got this box set today. Just watched the DVD. Lots of great stuff that I haven't seen before. I can identify a few of the shows (i.e. Shindig!, Top Of The Pops, and Hullabaloo), but some are completely unfamiliar. I haven't gone through the book yet to see if it provides any info regarding this bonus DVD.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Randy, where did you get yours? I didn't think it came out til' Tuesday?

Cole
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Cole: I have a friend who owns a small independent music store (vinyl, CD's, and DVD's). He gets in anything he thinks I'll want and doesn't wait till the release date. I shudder to think how much money I've spent at his shop in the last twenty-five years!
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Cool beans Randy! That's a nice friend to have. I bet you have spent a lot there!

Cole
mikestop

Post by mikestop »

"Department of Redundancy Department"
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

Hey, "I try to soup it up with the Rickenbacker" too! That's a nice article from CNN. And notice the vintage case he's holding in the photo?

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”