Right Hand Technique for Guitar

Putting music theory into practice
squid

Right Hand Technique for Guitar

Post by squid »

Hi, Jason. Thanks for moderating this thread. I've never been happy with my playing, so you'll probably be hearing from me quite often!

I think the big handicap for me right now is my right hand technique. (I use my right hand as my picking hand.) Obviously, strumming in four/four time isn't a problem, and my left hand is really quite strong. But I've never been satisfied with my technique for lead lines and melodic chord arpeggios. I've tried a couple of different methods. When I began to play, I used my thumb and index finger almost exclusively. I got quite good at this, but the melodies I got were very one-dimensional and repetitive. I wanted to add other strings and harmonics to the mix, so I moved to a more complete fingerstyle technique, but again, I ended up falling into "patterns" (inside-out, pinch, outside-in, etc.). Lately, I've been trying different kinds of picks.

Obviously, I haven't decided exactly how I want to play these lines, but I do want to increase the speed, accuracy, and versatility of my right hand. Are there some good exercises or techniques that you can recommend for long-term success and growth? Are there some basic rules about positioning and movement that you can impart?
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

John, it's interesting that you say you fall into the same patterns. I think that most of us do & sometimes it's hard to break out of the habit, as you seem to always go to something 'familiar' when you pick up an instrument. I've been a pro musician for most of my life & often I'll play exactly the same licks when I pick up a gtr, especially at times of low creativity. I am very keen not to dilute my style & when you listen to any of our favourite guitar heros, you will here them play the same riffs over & over again, as it is their particular style. It is always my goal to improve my technique, but not at the expense of my individuality. It is because of this that I will sometimes play an unfamiliar instrument (piano, banjo, fiddle). You don't go to the usual patterns & often learn something in the process.

I too would welcome any hints on keeping things 'fresh'.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

We all do it. There is no panacea for lack of creativity. You cannot turn creativity on like a light switch. Yet we all experience 'flashes of so called brilliance", I am sure. So be comfortable with what you know and explore what you don't know. That's how you stay fresh.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Just one quick thought... try keeping your right hand in motion like a metronome, or as you would if you were doing basic 4/4 strumming, but only contact the strings on specific notes. James Brown's guitarist seems to do this to striking effect on all the classic recordings.

The raised pickguards (on most Rick guitars) are a huge help with this, and I use that area to rest my pinkie finger, if only for an instant.

Whenever I'm picking, though, I rest my right palm on the bridge cover.

If you're referring to classical style finger picking, I'm afraid I know very little. Have you tried one of those grip builder things? Carry one in the car and use it at red lights, or while watching TV. Stronger finger muscles should increase not only strength but range.
westtexasrickenbacker

Post by westtexasrickenbacker »

This is good info. on this post. I'm a bass player mostly, but my guitar strumming and general right hand technique needs work Image
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Right Hand Technique for Guitar- I guess I could use some hints and/or advice in working the fretboard. Image

Do not adjust your browser.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”