Singing lessons

Putting music theory into practice
nattiep
Advanced Member

Singing lessons

Post by nattiep »

I've been trying to up my singing technique recently and my dad told me to sing Queensryche really loud. I've been doing that, and I've been hitting notes I never thought I could do without going falsetto, but I've noticed it's in my throat and when I go higher my voice gets quieter.

Should I get real lessons? I'd like to be a lead singer/bass player. It'd cut down the need for extra people in a band. My mother, mother's friends and auntie have told me I'm great, but my dad says I suck. He's all ego though. Image

I'd like real lessons though. I'm a self taught bass player, but I don't know how to self teach singing techniques.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Nate, at a very young age, I took singing lessons. I highly recommend that you do too. Particularly if you have the desire to sing. You need to learn how how you use the diaphragm to create volume, sustain and clarity. Pitch is another matter. It involves developing your "ear".
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

IMO it is ESSENTIAL Nate.....it will be one of the best investments that you will ever make!
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Even one or two lessons from a pro will help a lot.

Here's a very good piece of advice I got right after being hired at a dueling piano bar: "If anyone pays you a compliment, they are wrong. Don't listen to them. You suck." At first it sounded harsh and ridiculous, but eventually I saw he was right.

I hate to say it, but your dad is probably right. But I'll bet you can make him eat those words! A little guidance and a little work will go a long way.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

In a word - yes. Lessons are always good. Not only they give you a technique needed (if the teacher is a pro, of course), but you also learn the best ways to keep your voice in good condition. It's also very helpful to warm up in the right way before the gig. Singing too loud, forcing your voice more than needed may have bad consequences.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I haven't taking singing lessons per se, but I am a music student and to take Musicianship classes, which includes learning to sing solfege. They don't help with your breathing, but your pitch will get tons better. Maybe see about getting some theory lessons?

I have been singing for about five years now and what has helped me the most is driving around singing along to music. I look at it as "practicing without practicing". Nobody can hear you but yourself and you can really belt it out. I now practice singing harmony this way.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Cool, John. I do that too. It can be fun to try to come up with second and third parts for some of your favorite tunes.

I'm glad you mentioned solfege. I had a professor who gave the following assignment: Come to class tomorrow with one of your favorite pop tunes written out in solfege (do, re, mi, fa, etc.) and everyone else will try to guess the tune without hearing it.

Doc was quite a character, and the example he gave us was "Da ya Think I'm Sexy" by Rod Stewart.

So Mi Do La Do La
So Mi Do La Do La
So Mi Do La Do Re Mi....
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

That's a cool idea, J. Good way to practice it too.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

What a great idea. If you only learn one thing a day then the day was a successful one.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Good idea. Yeah, I guess real lessons would help. It's better than belting out "Revolution Calling" every day, most of the time doing it bad. Now I just need a teacher and money! Image
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Try calling up a local college and talking to their voice instructor. Usually someone like that will be glad to give you an hour lesson for about $50 bucks. A worthwhile one-time investment.

Some breathing techniques, some vowel exercises, and you'll be good to go.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Well earlier (After I posted my message) I sang a few tunes pretty well and then I bothered to do "Take Hold of the Flame" which I think I did well.

I'll look into it. There's a music store about a block away that does lessons (Guitar, bass, drums, voice, piano) so I'll talk to them about it.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
westtexasrickenbacker

Post by westtexasrickenbacker »

My voice stinks. My wife doesn't think it's bad, but I do! Image

I have a bad attitude about it. Do you kids out there think a bad voice can be improved enough to actually be good one day?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Absolutely. And quicker than you think. Learning a little technique will make a huge difference.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Has Mick Jaggers voice improved at all Alex? He does a great job with what he has. I am sure he has had to work very hard to keep pitch with his somewhat limited abilities.

He's technically not a very good singer but I enjoy listening to his unique voice and phrasing. Never give up. It can pay off if you work hard to improve your singing ability.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”