Roger McGuinn's Amp of Choice

Those who flock to The Byrds
junglejem

Roger McGuinn's Amp of Choice

Post by junglejem »

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death around here, but I didn't find it. Write it off to poor research skills! Does anyone know for sure what amp(s) McGuinn was using in the mid 60's Byrds? Tube? SS? Fender? Roland? Vox?
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Wasn't he using painfully loud Fenders?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I think he used Roland JC's later, but they certainly weren't around in the mid 60's.

I'm with Jerry, probably a Twin Reverb or a Super Reverb.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Depended on exactly When you're talking about, what year, month, etc. Generally, Always Fender amps.He used Super Reverbs, Twin Reverbs, Dual or Single Showmans.The Fenders were all tube. For a short time in late '67 or so, he was using the then new Acoustic 260 amps,solid state,preamp heads w/ powered bottoms, 2x15" Altec Lansing loaded cabs.I'm sure there were other, but these are the basics you'd have seen him with then in some configuration or other.When I saw him w/ the Byrds in early '70, he was running a Super, a Twin, and a Dual Showman Reverb, all w/ JBLs. Loud as hell, and magnificent. No Compressors, just the Vox treble booster,nailing you right between the eyes with a sonic icepick.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Jerry, yes the Fenders were "painfully loud, but, and I never personally saw him w/ the Acoustic amps[he used 2 of them!!]the first real Rick 12 I ever got to try out in a music store in 1968, I was able to plug into one of those Acoustic amps.
2 15" Altecs w/ a high frequency horn in the top of the cab.Without the Vox treble boost, that was just glass shattering overkill.
emjayw

Post by emjayw »

I saw the Byrds in November of 1965 in my home town in northeastern Ohio. They all used Dual Showmans and hillman used a Bassman(large cab. Yes, they were very loud and the harmonies were nowhere as good as the recorded versions, but we dug 'em anyway.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me..than a frontal lobotomy!"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Cool info, MJW. Thanks!
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

I saw a pic of them playing Hollywood High in the very early days. I think Hillman was playing a Vox amp. I think in those days they used Voxes at times, too, if only when sharing gear with other bands on the bill most likely.
This is off the record
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

They played Dual Showmans when I saw them at "The Trip" in the late 60's..
Reverb set to stun !!
6l6

Post by 6l6 »

Saw them twice in the mid 60's. Showman amps were the pick.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' either..."

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”