How to Open a Set

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

How to Open a Set

Post by jdogric12 »

Hey gang. Sorry I haven't posted a lot of new threads lately. But here's one I just pulled out of my soundhole.

We've previously discussed "the perfect setlist." Revisit that thread (in this topic) if you like, but for now let's talk about the right FIRST song.

The first serious band I played with (local funk/acid jazz original 7-piece) believed in an instrumental upbeat opener, followed by bringing out the hot female vocalist on the second song.

Another band I played with believed in showcasing your entire ensemble on the first song. Nine years later I still haven't made up my mind on what I prefer, between those two views.

Thoughts? Comments? Anecdotes? Snide remarks?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I've been to more concerts and live shows than I can count, but...

I was sitting in the meeting room at RIC75. Kenny's band was setting up for a set right near my table. I moved over to get a good look when it looked like they were gonna get started...

WHAM! First song: "I Call Your Name". Kenny was channelling Mr. Lennon, and I was mighty impressed. The rest of the set was pretty terrific. I have a lot of in in MPG form.

It will remain in my memory for a darned long time, that's all I can say!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Ohhhhh yeah!!!!

That was waaaaaaayyyy cool!

They did it right, for sure, and I'll be remembering it for a long time, too! Image
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I'll never forget it either...... er... Kenny who? Image

I agree totally, Paul. It was the perfect opener (apart from the one for bottles at the bar) - and it kept on going!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Dang! I missed that. I came down from my room during Radio Free Europe. How much did I miss?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jason: This has always been topic that I have found interesting. Choosing the "right" songs is so important. In preparation for an upcoming event I have selected a set-list that reflects group interests and a bit of 1960s history and beyond.

Here is the set-list with the opener "Get Back."
It is an event created to raise money for a local charity.

1. Get Back
2. Bad Moon Rising
3. Proud Mary
4. The Ballad Of John And Yoko
5. Walk Don't Run '64
6. Gloria
7. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
8. Hippy Hippy Shake
9. Memphis Teneessee
10. Cry For A Shadow
11. Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
12. You Can't Do That
13. I Call Your Name
14. When You Walk In The Room
15. Handle With Care
16. Spooky

BREAK

17. Love Potion No. 9
18. Bus Stop
19. Good Golly Miss Molly
20. Not Fade Away
21. Honky Tonk Women
22. Last Time
23. Apache
24. Shindig
25. Shakin All Over
26. Jet
27. I Saw Her Standing There
28. Birthday
29. Act Naturally
30. Honey Don't
31. Roll Over Beethoven
32. One After 909
33. Twist And Shout

I have also included a copy of a poster for your additional critique.

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

My suggestion would be: something energetic, fast, furious and well known. Like "Get back" in Peter's post above. An instrumental would do fine for a closer. IMHO.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Knowing your musical tastes Jason, you should start of with a bang, and do Supper's Ready.
telebob

Post by telebob »

For me, it depends entirely on the venue.

If we're playing a local drinking establishment full of rowdy people, we start with "White Room" because it's a pretty dramatic opener and feeds the crowd.

If we're in a club where the dinner crowd is just leaving as we're about to start and the drinking crowd is on their way in, we'll open up with something softer and build the first set sort of like a long crescendo. In this situation we try to remember that these people are going from quiet, to a live band. Hitting 'em too hard right from the start often thins the crowd out immediately as they look for a quieter place to finish their conversations. Easing them in with good, solid tunes often makes the difference between them deciding to stay, or running for sanctuary.

If it's a showcase/concert type gig, we hit 'em right in the middle with the first couple of songs and leave ourselves somewhere to go as the set wears on. Start too strong and the set becomes anti-climatic. Start too weak and people make up their minds too quickly.
Happiness is a choice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Cool setlist and poster, Peter. My only critique on the poster would be to do something with the lettering, to make it stand out from the background more, like maybe a light fuzzy fading under the lettered area. Makes it easier on the eyes. For example, "Join" and "2007" stand out, but "Vintage" and "Forward" get lost in the visible noise. Should be a great show... recording it?
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

A local band used to do this occasionally: Write down song names on small slips of paper, put slips of paper in a hat, hold hat out towards the audience & have a them blindly draw song names, perform.
It was very interesting, as they had an huge number of originals and a fairly rabid fan base.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Here's a typical Eggmen setlist
http://www.eggmen.com/setLists.html
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fantastic Ron. It would be nice to see one of your shows one day.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jason: Good points, here is a modified poster.

Now back to the topic of the first song in the setlist. My dream opener might be "More Than A Feeling." I need a little work on my vocals though.

jaybic

Post by jaybic »

Our set list usually opens up with just a quiet, blues type thing. It's never the same twice, but it serves to limber up the fingers and let's the crowd know we're getting ready to start. Where we usually play, we're the only act and usually start around 9pm or 10pm. To go from a relatively quite bar with a jukebox playing in the back ground to a full on band can be jarring mentioned above.

From the little blues jam, we then move into Feelin' Alright in the same key as the jam. I smooth transition into the song. The remainder of our first set is somewhat more vintage or oldies. The crowd that arrives first seem to enjoy that better - of course they leave earlier too.

Our 2nd and 3rd set we crank it up a notch and start playing more rockin' tunes - some Zep, Jett, Van Halen, Doors, etc. We found then the opposite of the first set is true. Those that arrive late and stay late tend to enjoy these songs a little more.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”