My band to open for Herman's Hermits

Entertainment

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

My band to open for Herman's Hermits

Post by iamthebassman »

I am really looking forward to this. We're playing a gig with Herman's Hermits, The Turtles, and The Grass Roots. It's at the local Minor League ball park. Can't wait.

www.eggmen.com
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
bear

Post by bear »

Sounds like Fun Ronn.
Our band opened for all three of those bands back in the 70's in the Mid-West and had a blast.
Matter of fact our rhythm section became the GrassRoots ryhthm section for a couple of years in '79 + 80. The keyboard player, Dennis Provisor, retired here in central Wisconsin and I still see him a couple times a month.
If you get the chance say Hi to Rob Grill of the GrassRoots from BEAR please do.
rictified

Post by rictified »

All three of those bands were great bands.
I have the Turtles greatest hits on Rhino, what a rhythm section they had, vocals were unbelievable, great songs too.
Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots had a great bass lick intro, And I loved Herman's Hermits when I was a kid, especially "Listen People" I had several of there albums, I think I still have their first one with "I'm into Something Good" Karl was the bass player and played a P bass. If only I could remember important things like that.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Bob are you sure about Karl Green playing a P bass? ALL video I've seen of them he's playing a lefty Epiphone Rivoli.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Ronn, I remember the Rivoli too but here are a couple of pics of interest: http://www.hermanshermits.com/photos/tourbook67/page19.html and http://www.hermanshermits.com/songbook5.htm . The second one looks like an EKO, the first is obviously from a Fender promo but I wonder if it's an actual performance shot.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I remember that from the back of one of their albums, maybe was a promo from Fender, you don't think they would actually pay someone to play their basses do you?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't forget they also had a Rickenbacker.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sneakers

Post by sneakers »

Lucky dawg Ronn. The EB-2 and Rivoli were used by a lot of groups in the '60's. I assume you are all using the "house" PA? Please tell us about all their equipment if you can.
bear

Post by bear »

When we backed up "Ermans' Ermit's" in the 70's Karl had the very cool left handed precision.
Funniest thing to happen that night was when one of our guys started chatting with Karl and he asked, rather nastily, where was the little guy?
Karl looked him in the eye and said "you must be the drummer". Yeah how did you know that was the reply. "You obviously cannot read as there is a possesive "s" after Herman" was Karl's reply.
IIRC the drummer fumed over this slight for at least a month, I went outside and just about split a gut laughing. Karl did like my Azure Blue 4001 though and we tried each others basses during the sound check.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Yeah, we'll all use the same PA, don't know yet about backline. I don't even know what set we'll be playing. Anyway MY bass choices are:
1st set: lefty Hofner '63 reissue
2nd set: lefty Ric 4001S(W/MMT paintjob)
3rd set: lefty Epi Rivoli
I'll keep everyone informed as I find out more. Other upcoming gigs in the works: Supporting Pete Best, and gigs with Peter Tork's band. Once again, more info when available.

www.eggmen.com
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Peter Tork is da MAN! I'll probably have to drive all the way to Austin for that one.

Uh oh, now I'll have "Your Auntie Grizelda" running through my head all night!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I played a club in the late '70's here in L.A. and Peter Noone was also playing, but he had some sort of new wave band.

Return to “On Stage”