Rickenbacker Registration Page

Register, Price List, Gallery, RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bails
Veteran RRF member

Rickenbacker Registration Page

Post by bails »

Is this now completely finished with, or are there possible plans for the future?

I can't imagine how big the database would be now if it were still active, and how much valuable information could be taken from it - half of the forums disputes could probably be accurately determined with a quick search of the database, rather than so much guesswork based on experience/memory (which psychologists have shown are not as reliable as we tend to believe).

I know it can be a major hassle to administer, but I can just imagine how informative it could be if it were up to date, and possibly even expanded to included columns for binding colour/style, TRC/PG colour, tuner brand, inlay type, fret count, tailpiece, factory anomalies, modifications etc... Perhaps a "wiki" style self-editing option could be arranged to ease the workload.

What's the current thinking?
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

I don't wish to speak for Peter, but I think it is just to big a project to keep up with. What is funny is that I found this forum by first registering my Rick's on the registration page.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mark, Brian and all who may be interested.

Brian has hit the nail on the head, time is the problem.

I have someone who is kindly working with me on this but I have dropped my end of the bargain lately and I am not sure he will be willing to continue. I have just sent off my second email to him this morning to see if he is still available to assist.

The data that has been collected so far has been done with great care and I would hate to adopt an automatic system where bogus information might be entered.

The good news is I have continued to collect the data and it is available. Of course, when systems such as this lag behind, new potential registrants are reluctant to send in information that may not be acted upon. I surely don't blame them.

My greatest worry is maintaining the privacy of those who send in the information, so only very limited information can be posted publicly. The second concern is the type of database that will be used. I have perl scripts in various stages and a new attempt underway that is using microsoft access which seems to work very well.

I am willing to move forward on this project, but perhaps some discussion would be helpful here. Learning from others is the whole point of this Forum and was the reason behind the creation of the Rickenbacker Registration Page.

Your thoughts, as always, are most welcome on this project. I would be misleading all if I suggested that I had the time to complete this on my own.

My worries are, how much data is revealed, who gets the data to organize, how do I insure the senders' confidentially while at the same time getting a way to reach them should there be an error or specific question.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

What are the privacy concerns?

Surely everyone who's submitted their information thus far has done so with the expectation that it will be publicly available for the purposes of the database. There are no names currently associated with any entries, but your worry regarding "how much data is revealed" seems like there's a reason that certain aspects should be kept hidden. Perhaps "location" could be optional, but once again, anyone who's already submitted it obviously isn't too worried about this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

People make valuable comments in addition to the general features asked for in the registration. This identifies them, through their email address and so on. They believe that the data is submitted to me, but should others be involved then it is apparent that other issues need to be considered.

As it stands now, I remove that information before sending the data on to be collated. This takes considerable time and I get very far behind.

The data also has to be scrutinized as models and finishes and year of manufacture are often incorrect and need to be followed up through email.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

I'd certainly like to see the registration database revitalized. As any organization grows, I'm certain that people realize that personal information sent in is going to be seen by more than one person. Perhaps a disclaimer to that effect on the registration form? Those of us who are members of this forum (and freely talk about the guitars we own), are already identified by name, email address and IP address.

There has got to be many of us here who would be glad to help out. Count me as one.
Ka is a wheel.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

+1

I'd like to be able to give something back to this forum and I do have some spare time on hand. So, Peter, if it is of any help, count me in as well!
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Tony, wassup? Maybe you could also help me figure out Pro Tools! I can't get my bass lines online so the rest can add to them for the Confl. I do have til Aug,but........... I need an alternative, maybe Garage Band could do it, but I am clueless with that also. I could barely navigate Sonar (when I had my pc), but at least I could get a wav out of it! I could start a thread in recording I suppose. Check down there n a bit if you want..
alanz
Intermediate Member

Post by alanz »

Seconding the idea that since we are required to post with our real names and IP addresses exposed the "privacy" concern seems like something that can be addressed fairly easily.
Listen to that sustain!
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

We could offer to re-submit our details with the understanding that they may be passed on to any person involved in creating the database. Starting fresh could also allow the adding of extra detail to the listings.

I'm not sure if the privacy issue is in response to a particular instance, but I can't imagine anyone could be so up-tight about their Rickenbacker details, if they were happy to submit them in the first place. I certainly didn't submit any fingerprints, social security numbers or credit card details with my submission...

P.S. The site that gave me the idea ask for an increase in the detail on the database is this one. The level of detail in that list is amazing, and as mentioned above, if the Rick database incorporated that much information it could give statistical backing so many of our discussions - "How common is a 4001 with checkerboard binding, toaster in the neck, skunk stripe and Klusons in FireGlo compared to a 4001 with checkerboard binding, toaster, skunk stripe, but with Grovers, and in MapleGlo?..." As Peter indicated above, with the use of Perl scripting, there could be a webform with drop down boxes to ensure accuracy of spelling, correct naming conventions for each part, and decrease both user error and manual labour. I'm happy to work on an HTML form for this, but someone else would need to do the Perl script to get it to work.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan: Many of those who have kindly registered their instruments are not RickResource Forum members.

Mark: I would not like to add additional information at present. After we get caught up on the backlog, then other aspects can certainly be considered.

We are currently a team of four, and the process of examining and coding the data has already begun.

I will certainly keep you posted, now that new life has been breathed into this project.

simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

I also wonder about accuracy. How many registered Rick's have changed hands? Possibly more than once.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agreed, but this will always be an issue. Whether location continues to be a variable is something to consider. Also, once the new listing is up, corrections can be made. It is certainly a dynamic project. Rickenbackers never sleep.

jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

I used to use look at the Registration page all of the time back in the day, and had fun seeing where all of the Ricks were and reviewing all of the stats. And I was quick to register my guitars.

Its a different day now though, and I'm not sure a database of valid serial numbers on the web is such a good idea. It would be a fraudster's goldmine...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, a great topic for discussion John.

The data on the Registration Page has been there for a few years now and I am not aware of it being used improperly. I cannot prove it hasn't happened, however, at least for those who know about it, they can check the list before they purchase.

I will be most interested to hear Forum members thoughts on this one.

Return to “Rickenbacker Register”