Just purchased MY first RIC Guitar!

Putting music theory into practice
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Just purchased MY first RIC Guitar!

Post by ajish4 »

Now how the hell do I play this thing? LOL!

Seriously,

I'm venturing into the realm of 6 strings! I picked up a 1995 360 MG. I have plans for it in the future, but I have to say, this thing is amazing. The action is SO LOW, fretting is almost effortless! The strings don't cut into my fingers like every previous guitar I've tried to play. The strings are almost like flats! Is that possible?

The poor thing had a horrible past, it appears some sat on the thing, the neck was repaired but the signs of the damage are easy to see, up and down the neck, but it was repaired very nicely.

My QUESTION is, WHERE DO I START? Which book or video is good for a TOTAL beginner? I can't do the lesson thing, so I have to do this on my own. I stumbled and struggled with bass for years, I'd like to try to get this right from the start...

Thanks!
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

I could send you my chord table. ;-) What kind of guitar is this? Mean model and such...
Oh, and congrats. Image
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Congrats. Tony. Welcome to the world of Rickenbacker six strings. I suggest that you get someone to show you a few chords, then just work on chord changes and strumming. Find a couple of easy songs to play along with.
Ka is a wheel.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Think of it as a very small six string piccolo bass! Image
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Hey Kris, what were you "belting out" in those pics at the confluence? I didn't know you were a singer!

Congrats again, Tony!
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Tony, what kind of music are you interested in playing?

BTW, they do have flats for guitar (I use them), so the strings you've got most certainly could be.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

It was probably A Hard Day's Night. Dale Fortune had been playing and singing almost nonstop, and his voice finally gave out.
Ka is a wheel.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I think Tony needs to learn the easy riffs for "Wurm" (from "Starship Trooper") and "And You and I"... Always fun for a Yes-freak to play. And from what I read, Tony appears to be a Yes-freak. Image
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The beginning melody lines from "To Be Over" are not to difficult.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Thanks everyone,

I felt sorry for this old girl. She was a BIN for $799.00.

Let me try to do this in order....

Sheena, it is a 1996 360 MG. Here is a shot.

Thanks Kris,

It really is a sweet thing. It had a rough life. Check out the neck repair....whatever hit it, left NO mark anywhere on the guitar, but it even caused a problem with the binding on the body and up on the neck by the headstock. BUT, she plays like a dream! It is like brand new (other than the neck repair, that is)Image

Jeff: Hmmmm, now there's an idea! Image

John:

"Tony, what kind of music are you interested in playing?" Um, CHORDS? Image

I REALLY have no idea where to begin. I started bass with trying to learn YES, ELP, and RUSH....I DON'T WANT to start guitar like that. How about, "It's A Small World"...only kidding, I guess whatever is EASY! And, ANYTHING other than MEL BAY BOOK 1 & 2!!!!!

Mark:

Yes freak, ME? What on Earth EVER gave you THAT idea? Image

OOPS, upside down, I HATE THAT! Image
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Tony: These are all the basic "open" guitar chords -
http://www.guitaralliance.com/images/openchords.gif

In case you've never read a chart like this before, the numbers on the dots represent your fingers: 1 = index, 2 = middle, 3 = ring, 4 = pinky.

So, for example, the first chord listed is an E. Play it with your 2nd (middle) finger on the 2nd fret of the A string, your 3rd (ring) finger on the 2nd fret of the D string, and your 1st (index) finger on the 1st fret of the G string.

The X's mean you don't play those strings. For example, on an open D chord, only the bottom four strings are played - leave out the low E and the A.

I don't know if you're into The Beatles, but I would say learning the chords to a few Beatles tunes would be a great way to start. As for your prog-rock stuff, maybe you can start with "Working Man" and go from there. Image
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Since I could read music, and I was impatient to play something that sounded decent, I just played melodies off of sheet music to get started. I practiced my chords privately for quite a while before busting them out!

PS, playing the guitar will help using a pick on the bass. That strumming limbers up the wrist.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

You may also try to start with, say, "Green River". It's just E7 and... E7.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Tony, I had the exact same experience the first time I bought a guitar - "what do I do with this thing?"

I thought chord fingerings were the most bizarre things I had ever seen.

But why do you say "I can't do the lesson thing?"

Having a human show you things will be a thousand times more efficient than trying to get it from a book.

The first song I learned how to play, btw, was "She'll Be Coming 'Round The Mountain." Boy, was I proud.
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

Congrats Tony! FWIW, I used to teach at a private music and dance studio as a sub. All my students were kids from the age of 5 through 14. If they could do it, so can you; plus you've already a leg up on them by being a bass player!

The method that John has provided is the easiest and most logical way to go about it. Also, get one of you guitar pals to just sit and jam with you - even if it's just a two or three chord progression. Start with the "cowboy chords" and then move from there. Best of luck and enjoy the challenge!
Wherever you go, there you are

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”