Thunderbird bass

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Thunderbird bass

Post by captsandwich »

Who is the thunderbird fan? As in Gibson Thunderbird. And have you seen this?

MF Stupid deal of the day for $1299
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?src=BNMFSTPD
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Thunderbird bass

Post by jps »

I like this one!
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I liked John Entwistle's so much I picked it up and played it!

Sothebys "The John Entwistle Collection" May 2003.
Attachments
001.jpg
Last edited by mgauction on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Jeff - Do you own that? I like it!

Could it be the zebrawood one here is a clearout sale? I'd take one like Jeff's before an original sunburst.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That belongs to a guy in Monterey, Ca. I sold him vintage NOS tuners to help in the restoration of that bass. It does look great in that color! :)
rictified

Post by rictified »

mgauction wrote:Jeff - Do you own that? I like it!

Could it be the zebrawood one here is a clearout sale? I'd take one like Jeff's before an original sunburst.
The Zebrawood was a limited ed. that supposedly sold out a while ago, looks like MF may have a few left?. Mine is sunburst, looks like Entwistles, very nice basses. I bought one from AMS and it arrived perfectly set up, very well made bass. Nice slim neck kind of like an old J bass. I'd snap that up, they normally go for around 1749.00 and that's not the retail price, that is what you pay, those may have been even more expensive. I don't think they're active either, mine isn't and I've never heard of an active T-Bird bass. MF has a lot of bad reviews for them, has to be MF not the bass, maybe they have a lot of seconds?
loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Post by loendmaestro »

rictified wrote:
mgauction wrote:Jeff - Do you own that? I like it!

The Zebrawood was a limited ed. that supposedly sold out a while ago, looks like MF may have a few left?. Mine is sunburst, looks like Entwistles, very nice basses. I bought one from AMS and it arrived perfectly set up, very well made bass. Nice slim neck kind of like an old J bass. I'd snap that up, they normally go for around 1749.00 and that's not the retail price, that is what you pay, those may have been even more expensive. I don't think they're active either, mine isn't and I've never heard of an active T-Bird bass. MF has a lot of bad reviews for them, has to be MF not the bass, maybe they have a lot of seconds?
Limited indeed.
I have a 2001 T-Bird that I got direct from the Gibson factory. It's Vintage Sunburst, though I kick myself now for not getting the (now discontinued) Natural finish.

Regardless, it's a great bass & one of the faves of the guys I play with. It did have some issues upon arrival though, as Gibson's quality control department seems to leave much to be desired. After a couple hundred dollars of work it was up to speed though...

Great tone -- covers the full spectrum. FAST, slim neck. Neck dive isn't quite as bad as many people make out...wider straps seem to help. Be warned though - tough access to the upper frets due to the cutaway. Takes a little getting used to....maybe I shouldn't be playing that high anyway!

Return to “The Low End”