Radiohead

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
scotty

Radiohead

Post by scotty »

Ok light the fire lets get the slippers on, the beers chilled and the kids are in bed lets go.A certain band a number of years ago were playing on my radio on the way to work the track was Creep the band was Radiohead i was hooked immediately.After forgetting about the initial impact of the band the release of THE BENDS completely blew me away.Furthermore after the milestone of OK COMPUTER Radiohead soared onto Rock godly status in which the band marked their signature upon the book of rock legends.What do the band do for music in the world today? Do people think the albums Amnesiac, Kid A and Hail to the Thief were not to their taste or were they personal favorites. Do you favor the bands new album IN RAINBOWS or do you have reservations ? Some people have said to me in the past that that they dont like the new Radiohead "its too weird" or " i dont get it I just like the Bends /Ok Computer" whats you view? Are Radiohead Before their time? Are the band pushing the limits of musical Creativity? Or are they just another sound in the spectrum?Lots of Question lots of Answers...
Questions ans Answers Wasnt that Sham 69 another topic maybe! Ill keep for another day :wink:
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Radiohead

Post by winston »

First let me start off by saying Scotty that "Creep" is a brilliantly conceived and captivating song. I love it. Are they years ahead of their time? Let me answer this way. They have vision, an abundance of talent and the guts to be different.

They are a great band.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
scotty

Post by scotty »

Alway gr8 to hear your input Brian. I might add that its alway appreciated and highly regarded.
dswp

Post by dswp »

I love Radiohead.

All those warm analog sounds.....Great stuff...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Scott, i'm sure that Radiohead would positively loathe to be called "rock gods".

I love Kid A and Amnesiac, and In Rainbows is just wonderful! HTTT has it's moments but I would not list it among my favorites from them.

scotty

Post by scotty »

Scott, i'm sure that Radiohead would positively loathe to be called "rock gods".
We ll keep it on the Quite John :wink: I love that Scotch Mist vid it really is gr8.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I love everything that Radiohead does. In many ways they have taken the mantle from the Beatles of a band that constantly experiments and has a quality of excellence. Plus they use RICs often!

Greg
scotty

Post by scotty »

Right ive just finished listening to"In Rainbows "ive had this in my car the house and Ipod.It really does deserve lots of appraisals.Right now i would say that its the best album ive heard from Radiohead and thats a thing that i would have never thought id say.Jigsaw Falling into place is fantastic Radiohead are the Dogs bo**ocks.Hows that John better that RG status :D From the opener 15 step this body of work unfolds to being one of the best albums of 07.Car crashing through the album is a joy for the senses.Gr8 lyrical maturity from the band and song structure thats been spun from band that never truly dissapoint.Weird fishes/Arpeggi is Stunningly addictive and a joy to listen to.Traveling through this album is a stroll worth taking and when you eventually take the stroll youll find yourself having the most pleasant time of your life.Finishing up with Videotape in which i love the percussion is only one song from starting it all again. This is just something i had to add :roll:
I love it but i think you all get the message!
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

I'd heard little if anything of or about Radiohead until about 12 months ago when one of the guys in our Weekend Warriors band put it up as a suggestion. I must admit to feeling that it was a bit 'dirgy' in the beginning but it grew on me.... after playing it with the band about 30 times during practice and rehearsal. Unfortunately the guy who did the vocals has moved on and we don't have anybody who can get 'up there'.

I'm wondering if I should investigate Radiohead a bit further............

I have a video of us doing the song..... must have another look at it!! :oops:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Howard,Listen to The Bends then Ok Computer just to get you started.Youll love them give them a couple of good listens before you make your mind up.Best regards Scott
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

ozover50 wrote:I'd heard little if anything of or about Radiohead until about 12 months ago when one of the guys in our Weekend Warriors band put it up as a suggestion. I must admit to feeling that it was a bit 'dirgy' in the beginning but it grew on me.... after playing it with the band about 30 times during practice and rehearsal. Unfortunately the guy who did the vocals has moved on and we don't have anybody who can get 'up there'.
Aitch, what song? I'm almost afraid to ask...
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Thanks, Scotty........ I'll check them out.

Sorry, John..... I did mean to include the name of the song - "Creep". Be afraid...... be VERY afraid!! :mrgreen:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

ozover50 wrote:]Sorry, John..... I did mean to include the name of the song - "Creep". Be afraid...... be VERY afraid!! :mrgreen:
It was as I had feared. :D :shock: Seriously!

"Creep" was a massive hit for Radiohead in 1993 and is the reason that they eventually became one of the biggest bands in the world. However, it was one of those situations where the song was just tossed on the album as an afterthought and the band really didn't even like it much.

It didn't take long for the band to be branded as one-hit-wonders, and Thom Yorke wrote the brilliant "My Iron Lung" in response to the success of the song (which became a hit itself). It was included on the band's second album, The Bends, which did not have a hit like "Creep", but was a massive critcal success nonetheless.

The Bends' critical success brought about some freedom from Parlophone, who told the band they could record it "wherever you want, with whomever you want, and take as much as you need". The result was OK Computer, perhaps the greatest album of the 90's and one of the greatest of all time. But yet, still no hit like "Creep", which for all its simplicity, has an undeniable hook, and caters to the alternative rock fan and even the casual rock listener.

I have to reccomend both The Bends and OK Computer Aitch, in that order. They are two of the greatest rock albums ever recorded, and most likely the two best of the 90's (Wilco's Summerteeth is also a close contender for me).

Radiohead's later albums - Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, and In Rainbows are all excellent albums, but far less accessible then the previous albums. There's a good deal of electronica, dance, and ambient influence on them. Check them out, but not before you've given The Bends and OK Computer some solid listens!
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Thank you, John. And thanks again, Scotty.

The CD supermarket next door to my office will get some business tomorrow! :mrgreen:

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”