Jimmy Bryant Tele Swing

Reverberations from Duane Eddy and beyond
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Jimmy Bryant Tele Swing

Post by kenposurf »

Peewee asked for a JB thread and I could not agree more. Jimmy Bryant's style was unique to 50's players and his work with Speedy his steel guitarist is the stuff of legends. Jimmy's playing influenced many a Tele twanger including Danny Gatton and Albert Lee.

peewee
Intermediate Member

Re: Jimmy Bryant Tele Swing

Post by peewee »

Love this stuff! There are so many of these types of guys who could just flat out play and really had a lot of fun while doing it as is evidenced in this clip.

Speaking of Jimmy's influence, believe it or not, Charlie Baty of Little Charlie & The Nightcats is a huge Jimmy Bryant fan. After catching him one night in Baltimore we started talking about Jazz players and I said to him, "I hear a lot of Jimmy Bryant in your Jazz playing. I love that stuff!". His face lit up and he practically yelled, "Man, you're dead on! He's my #1 Jazz influence. It's great to know that someone can pick it out in my playing!"

Thanks, G!
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Oh MAAAN.... :mrgreen:

Some of the best stuff ever recorded IMO. If you've never listened to the LP 'Stratosphere Boogie', GET IT.....what a cool record. Named after the first electric 12-string, the 'Stratosphere'...Jimmy Bryant uses a funky alternate tuning on the track. The rest of the record just smokes.

Anything that Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West did is awesome.
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

Totally agree with John! I had that disc and it's sooooooooo good that it somehow left my house and I haven't seen it since :evil:

I also have Swingin' on the Strings which is pretty stellar as well. You can't go wrong with any of the Speedy/Jimmy recordings, IMHO.

Another guy that I really dig in that vein is Jimmy Rivers - killer Western Swing guitarist! My favorite has to be Junior Barnard with the Texas Playboys, though. One of the first cats - if not the first - to go stereo by wiring his Epiphone so that each pup went to a separate amp and got some of the nastiest tube distortion you'd ever want to hear. His work with Wills during the '40s was well before the Rock&Roll craze and his gutbucket style of Blues playing still makes the short hairs on the back of my neck stand up - the "Fat Boy" rocks!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

He plays so effortlessly. Great chops and good stuff too. I like it.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

As some may know...I am a record hound. As I was going through my latest box of vinyl I found a beautiful 45 of Jimmy Bryant w/Speedy on the Big J label...Ha-So'/Tobacco Worm. Released in 1962 it is a holy grail piece. The only other copy I've heard of belongs to Rockabilly monster Deke Dickerson. Now on ebay...I'm hoping to do well with this one...had to tell somebody :D
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ya coulda told me...
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

I told ya about another item..have you read your email 8)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

George: I love this clip for its tone and Jimmy's playing. Thanks for posting it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”