Rockabilly Fire

Reverberations from Duane Eddy and beyond
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Rockabilly Fire

Post by kenposurf »

Peewees request for a Jimmy Bryant thread led me to this thought...instrumental rockabilly. western swing etc. We'll start this one with Larry Collins from the Collins Kids and Joe Maphis....Mosrite nervana!

peewee
Intermediate Member

Re: Rockabilly Fire

Post by peewee »

Larry Collins blew my head wide open the first time I ever heard him; think it was "Hurricane". I had a really hard time believing that I was hearing a little kid play like that. Then when you see these video clips and he's running around all over creation, it really messes your head up. I loved Maphis, too, with him being a native Virginian. His version of "Water Baby Boogie" is a multitracking masterpiece. I still find it hard to believe that Larry Collins was also the writer of "Delta Dawn" which was a huge hit for both Tanya Tucker and Helen Reddy back in 1973.

George, IIRC, didn't Dick Dale use to date Lori Collins and he got some guitar pointers from little Larry?
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

peewee wrote:Larry Collins blew my head wide open the first time I ever heard him; think it was "Hurricane". I had a really hard time believing that I was hearing a little kid play like that. Then when you see these video clips and he's running around all over creation, it really messes your head up. I loved Maphis, too, with him being a native Virginian. His version of "Water Baby Boogie" is a multitracking masterpiece. I still find it hard to believe that Larry Collins was also the writer of "Delta Dawn" which was a huge hit for both Tanya Tucker and Helen Reddy back in 1973.

George, IIRC, didn't Dick Dale use to date Lori Collins and he got some guitar pointers from little Larry?
Dick has a lot of stories to tell but not heard that one!
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I've got a track of Joe Maphis doing Robert Mitchum's Ballad of Thunder Road, probably one of my favorite songs.

However, whenever I think of rockbilly, I think of this guy.

'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Here's Larry Collins all grown up having it out with Deke Dickerson....

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”