RRF Consultant

Los Jets Turn 50!

Post by kenposurf »

One of the best!

royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Los Jets Turn 50!

Post by royclough »

Los Jets are a Spanish band very much in style of Shadows, on second clip the name Brian Locking may not mean much over the pond, as we say.

Locking was the replacement for Jet Harris, the orignal Bass Player in the Shadows.

However he only stayed for one album, The Shadows second album, called Out Of The Shadows.

He turned to religion and became a Jehovah's Witness, something which Hank Marvin was to later do.

This track Dakota actually features on The Shadows third album but does feature Locking, though by this time John Rostill was the Bass Player, though Rostill does not feature on this track.

For those interested here is the original Dakota, guitars used were Burns.

Talking of Jet Harris you will find an album by him, released 5 years ago, excellent album in same link.

Dakota
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: Your comments and link to Dakota and more are much appreciated. They are a window into the instrumental world that most of North America has probably not opened.

The harmonica playing of "Licorice" is of interest to me for a number of reasons. To begin, not much of the instrumental music that hit the charts used the harmonica for the melody as we see in the case of Dakota. Second, the Shadow's certainly used the harmonica sparingly and so it is nice to see and hear it here.

Finally, a different harmonica is used for Dakota in the audio clip you sent compared to the live You Tube performance. In the former you hear the diatonic harmonica with its more traditional blues sound and thinner sounding notes. In the latter we see Licorice with the chromatic harmonic with its fuller sound and as Lennon said "the one with the button." This offers a very different tonality and style when playing this number. Both are great so thanks again.

Just in passing, where did Licorice go after the Shadows?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Thanks for your insights Roy!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Excellent analysis of the technical aspects of Dakota Peter, Locking basically gave up Music for religion, I actually think he had a great influence on Hank Marvin in turning him onto religion.

Allegedly Marvin still does some door to door knocking in Perth in Australia where he now lives, though I find this hard to believe.

Locking has surfaced mainly in the 90's doing the odd gig here and there as a guest but as far as I know never returned to music professionally.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Another thing George may be interested in was that The Shadows first album release in US in 1963 was called Surfin' with The Shadows and sleeve notes apparently described them as 'originators of surf music' amusing considering they had probably never seen a surfboard.

Never seen a copy however, has anyone over there got a copy.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

royclough wrote:Another thing George may be interested in was that The Shadows first album release in US in 1963 was called Surfin' with The Shadows and sleeve notes apparently described them as 'originators of surf music' amusing considering they had probably never seen a surfboard.

Never seen a copy however, has anyone over there got a copy.
I NEED that LP!! :D
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

It was released on the Atlantic label and also in stereo catalogue number SD8089

Tracks on album were
Dance On+
The Rumble
The Stanger
Man Of Mystery
Kinda Cool
Bo Diddley*
Kon Tiki+
The Frightened City
Atlantis+
FBI
Are They All Like You*

* Vocal
+ Number One Single in UK.

Quite how we get Surfing here is beyond me

There was a second Album released in US shortly after called The Shadows Know!!! which was basically the UK Dance With The Shadows plus 3/4 extra tracks.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

royclough wrote:It was released on the Atlantic label and also in stereo catalogue number SD8089

Tracks on album were
Dance On+
The Rumble
The Stanger
Man Of Mystery
Kinda Cool
Bo Diddley*
Kon Tiki+
The Frightened City
Atlantis+
FBI
Are They All Like You*

* Vocal
+ Number One Single in UK.

Quite how we get Surfing here is beyond me

There was a second Album released in US shortly after called The Shadows Know!!! which was basically the UK Dance With The Shadows plus 3/4 extra tracks.
As I'm sure you know Roy, many bands made a stretch to jump on the surf music bandwagon.."Bo Diddley Goes Surfing" comes to mind...

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”