vox amp for beatle sound

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

BeatleJohn

vox amp for beatle sound

Post by BeatleJohn »

hi im just about to get my first rickenbacker and i thought i might treat myself to a new vox amp while im at it. i was just wondering what sort i should get within a reasonable price range. i will only be using it at home to jam on. any help would be great :D
"I want "humberdinker" pickups in it. Im a rhythmer, I dont know nothing about these things, Im a rhythmer" - John Lennon
BeatleJohn

Re: vox amp for beatle sound

Post by BeatleJohn »

i was thinking of getting it from dolphin music while i was in liverpool. does anyone shop there? are they a good store?
also id be taking it home to australia if i get it so does anyone know if id have any probs with the airlines accepting it?
"I want "humberdinker" pickups in it. Im a rhythmer, I dont know nothing about these things, Im a rhythmer" - John Lennon
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

I'd suggest an AC-15. Not as big or pricy as an AC-30, but you'll still get the sound. As for the airline, I'd call ahead to inquire.
BeatleJohn

Post by BeatleJohn »

[quote="beatlefreak"]I'd suggest an AC-15. Not as big or pricy as an AC-30, but you'll still get the sound.

does the ac15 have enough to play live? also are they english or chinese made? ive heard theres probs with the chinese ones. is english better wats the diff?
BeatleJohn

Post by BeatleJohn »

and wats the diff between a tube amp compared to others sorry if im being thick? are new amps just as good as vintage or wat
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

Try an AC30H2. By the way, you don't need to leave so many successive posts, David.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

If you're only using the amp at home to jam on, and even if you're playing live, the AC15 should be able to handle your needs quite well. There's nothing wrong with the Chinese made AC15s or AC30s. I have a Chinese made AC30 CC2X, along with an older, UK built AC30. They both sound great, in fact they sound the same to my ear at the same settings. The only real problem with the Chinese models has been the preamp tubes, which are easily replaced. If you buy your amp from North Coast Music, they bench test the amp to ensure there are no problems with the tubes before they ship the amp to you. My amp worked great when I bought it but I too had problems with the tubes after awhile-gthe amp started to get noisy, et cetera. For the price of three preamp tubes, the problem was solved and I have had no issues with the amp since. I would suggest the AC15, rather than the AC30 for you since you're going to use it primarily at home, and also because as an AC30 user, even in a live setting, I do not turn the amp up very much and it's plenty loud.
BeatleJohn

Post by BeatleJohn »

1965 wrote:Try an AC30H2. By the way, you don't need to leave so many successive posts, David.
sorry if i annoyed u. i just wanted the info and id keep remembering things i wanted to ask thats all. and cos im getting all this gear basicly within the month i need to ask as many questions as i can b4 then, u guys know what yr talking about thats all
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

and wats the diff between a tube amp compared to others sorry if im being thick? are new amps just as good as vintage or wat
There are many differences not only in how they operate and sound, but in their repair and cost, among other things. For me the main difference is in the feel and tone when I play the amp. The audience may not notice it but I sure do. It is really something that you can only discover by playing them all for yourself. For me it is tube all the way. Some new amps are good and some vintage amps are good. Usually the modern boutique amps are better than modern name brand ones, though in Vox's case, that isn't really true.

For your needs it sounds like an AC15 is the way to go, and the chinese made ones sound like a nice setup. The handwired ones are even better, though they are still made in china, but they cost a lot more. The AC15 will work on stage, but it all depends on how loud your drummer is. If the amp isn't loud enough you can always mic it through the PA. An AC30 is quite loud, and will keep up in some situations with a 50 watt Marshall. If you get the Chinese made AC30, then you have a master volume which helps to bring the total volume of the amp under control.

Greg
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

BeatleJohn wrote:
1965 wrote:Try an AC30H2. By the way, you don't need to leave so many successive posts, David.
sorry if i annoyed u. i just wanted the info and id keep remembering things i wanted to ask thats all. and cos im getting all this gear basicly within the month i need to ask as many questions as i can b4 then, u guys know what yr talking about thats all
I'm not annoyed, just trying to help keep everything a little more concise. There's an edit function you can use to add info to posts you've already submitted, try it out.
BeatleJohn

Post by BeatleJohn »

what about the vox VR15? is this as good as the AC15?
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

Never tried one, but it can't be near the same sound as an AC15 with that tiny cabinet and speaker. It's solid state, besides the token 12ax7 in the preamp. I'm sure it's fine for a practice amp, but you should save your cash and at least get an AC15 to get the sound you're looking for.
BeatleJohn

Post by BeatleJohn »

been looking at more info on the AC15CC.....
besides the price is there that much diff between the AC15CC1 with the wharfedale speaker and the CC1x with the blue speaker? As id mentioned b4 id mostly be just jamming around at home with it but sometimes play live so id just like some more info on wat would be the best to go for.
also as id be taking this amp from england to australia would i have any probs using it in australia? id just need to get an adaptor for the plug wouldnt i?
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

The alnico blue makes a huge difference in sound, hence why it's so much more expensive and desirable. Some people can't live without em, but others don't mind the wharfedale. I thought the my AC30CC2 was alright, but I sold it a few days ago because it's not exactly the sound I'm looking for. I'm off to the store today to check out the Vox AC30H2 and the JMI's.
alan

Post by alan »

As an owner of a Chinese made AC15 with the stock Wharfdale speakers, I would highy recomend this amp. And it's also plenty loud. It's got the tone you're after. I also had a VR30, nice little amp, but in a totally different class. I gave mine to my son, he loves it. The VR has a pretty warm "tube-like" tone for a solid state amp, but it's neither loud, nor truly a tube amp. Have no fear of the newer AC15's, they're alot of amp for the money, and sound fantastic.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”