Their Tunes

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
royclough
RRF Consultant

Their Tunes

Post by royclough »

John McNally and Frank Allen were the guest presenters on a Radio show recently called My Tunes in which they chose the music

These were the songs they individually chose and they give a reason as to why they had chosen each song.

John McNally
Be Bop A Lulu - Gene Vincent
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Peggy Sue - True Love Ways - Buddy Holly
Since I Fell For You - Lenny Welch (nice story to this , it appears it is John and his wife Mary's song)
Matchbox- Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins
Apache - Shadows
Something Else - Eddie Cochran

Frank Allen

Girl Can't Help It - Little Richard
I Was the One - Elvis Presley (sure this was not the version he wanted played though, as producer played Live version with Elvis cracking up, Frank certianly did not want this version played, originally B side of Heartbreal Hotel, nice ballad)
Please Please Me - Beatles
Some Days You Go Dance- Dixie Chicks (Surprise Choice)
Move It - Cliff Richard
Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley

In between but not introduced by them 4/5 Searchers tracks were played.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Their Tunes

Post by admin »

Roy: You interesting post does, of course, beg the question - Why did they choose each song?

Do you recall some of the responses or is the show still available on line?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

In John McNally's case tracks by Vincent, Cochran, Perkins reminded him of star club though not certain if Perkins or Cochran played star club.

The Hendrix one surprised me but he felt he was just such a good guitar player.

The Welch seemed to be a song that he nad his wife liked and he recalled seeing him at a club in Liverpool and recalled asking him to do the song.

He said he really regretted the fact that he had to work the night Buddy Holly played Liverpool, he did not of course mention the fact that Mike Pender did go to see the show.

Apache because Hank influenced so many even if they no longer admit it.

Frank Allen recalled hearing Heartbreak Hotel for first time and realised this was what he wanted to do, he also said he always liked the B Side, regretfully the producer of the show played the wrong version.

He chose Please Please Me because he recalled hearing them do the song at the Star Club and knew instantly it was going to be a huge hit.

Dixie Chicks surprise choice but apparently e quite likes them, after being taken along to one of their shows as a guest.

Move It he felt was the best rock and roll record ever by a British artist.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great comments from two fine artists who have been a part of the music scene for decades, Roy.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”