OT: Calgary - how do you say it?

Reports from Canada
cjj
RRF Moderator

OT: Calgary - how do you say it?

Post by cjj »

OK, this has nothing to do with Ricks, sorry about that, but it does have Canadian content.

A few months ago, we had some folks from Canada stop in for the night on their way to Calgary (we have a big place and let people who are traveling with horses put them up for the night, etc.) Anyway, most of these people were coming from the Ontario area and they had a different pronunciation for Calgary than I'd heard before.

Now, the way I've always heard it pronounced was "CAL-gary", emphasis on the CAL part, "gar" sort of rhymes with "car", or maybe even "her".

All these people pronounced it "cal-GARY", emphasis on GARY, pronounced like the name Gary.

Since I've never been to Calgary, where, I assume they pronounce it correctly, I was just wondering if these people's pronunciation was just an Ontario thing, or if that's how it's usually pronounced by most Canadians.
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Re: OT: Calgary - how do you say it?

Post by tennis_nick »

It's kinda like

Cal------------------gah------ree
(As in calorie) --------------Repossessed
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, that's a better explanation of how I've always heard it...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

I'd have to agree with Mr. Cormier, although I have heard it pronounced the other way by a standup comic on TV once (can't remember his name). I thought it was just for the effect but maybe it is a regional thing.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

The one that drives me nuts is Quebec... Correctly is should be Ke'beck... But often shows up at Qwa'-beck...

The other one that drives us all nuts is Newfoundland... Correctly it should be Newf'nland... But it endlessly gets pronounced as New-found-land... Even Paul McCartney screwed it up when he was on his anti-sealing publicity thing a few years back.

Calgary is a nice town from what I have heard.

Ontario does have some distinctive accents, especially as you head out into the rural areas.

Brian
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, I've heard the right way to say Quebec, most of the time I've heard it as Qwe'-beck

Now, Newfoundland, I generally hear this as New'-fndland, no real vowel sound on the found, sort of like fund, but with a real abbreviated 'u' sound.

The folks in question were likely from a more rural part of Ontario, it was 4 groups of people all going out to some horse riding event. By rural, I mean not big city as they all had horses. Definietly NOT poor rural farm types as they all had nice motorhomes, campers & trailers to stay in, as well as some fairly high end horses and equipment. But of course, it takes a fair amount of money to play in the horse circuit. If I'd spent all the money we've spent on horses, on Ricks, I'd have one heck of a nice collection! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

I always trust in the local pronunciation. You can't offend anyone that way.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

cjj wrote: Now, Newfoundland, I generally hear this as New'-fndland, no real vowel sound on the found, sort of like fund, but with a real abbreviated 'u' sound.
No real vowel in the middle, somtimes you can put emphasis on the last syllable. Like you're a little bit drunk and your face is frozen by a North Atlantic wind.
NewfnLAND.
Newfnland.
Either is acceptable.
Also, if you put the empahsis on the Found or promounce the T in St John's, you might as well wear a hat that says CFA.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

captsandwich wrote:
cjj wrote: Now, Newfoundland, I generally hear this as New'-fndland, no real vowel sound on the found, sort of like fund, but with a real abbreviated 'u' sound.
No real vowel in the middle, somtimes you can put emphasis on the last syllable. Like you're a little bit drunk and your face is frozen by a North Atlantic wind.
NewfnLAND.
Newfnland.
Either is acceptable.
Also, if you put the empahsis on the Found or promounce the T in St John's, you might as well wear a hat that says CFA.
I think St. John's is pronounced "Snjohns" locally. (I have lots of Newfie relatives.)

What's a CFA? Is it printable here? (Use of *asterisks* may be appropriate.) :D
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

CFA is a Come From Away. More generic and less condescending than Mainlander, another term for those who were not fortunate enough to be Newfies.
:D
Technically, I was a CFA because I was not born on the island, but my family is Newfie through & through & I spent most of the 80's there, so I qualify as a native.
86kubicki
Advanced Member

Post by 86kubicki »

And then there's this Newfie...
Attachments
molly55.jpg
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Time for a joke I think...

What's black and blue and floats in St John's harbour?

A mainlander who told too many "newfie" jokes.. :-)
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Does Molly look better now?
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

She looks pretty darn cold to me.

And you said you didn't know Photoshop. :wink:
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kiramdear wrote:She looks pretty darn cold to me.

And you said you didn't know Photoshop. :wink:
I am not well versed in the advanced itricacies of PS, just the basics, mdeer! :mrgreen:

Return to “Canadian Chapter: by Dean Steglia”