What's the first song you ever wrote?

Putting music theory into practice
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

What's the first song you ever wrote?

Post by kiramdear »

I've been searching for the first one I ever recorded, and I'm not sure I'll find it. But it started me thinking about the first song I ever made up. It was a doozy, but I'll save it for if anybody bites. I thought it made a better question for our songwriters than it did a personal recollection.

So what's the first one you can remember that you want to tell us about? If any links or clips, if available, would make it even better, but a description or a few lyrics is good enough.

I'll be back in a bit with mine. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
paologregorio

Re: What's the first song you ever wrote?

Post by paologregorio »

Hmm, I have a cassette around here somewhere. I also have a live version on VHS...not that I'm going to post anything.
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

Good question!

The very first was a short tune I had written for a girlfriend who went on to... break up with me a week later (she hadn't heard it yet), but it wasn't much of a tune.

The first song that I've written and liked is called "The Postman" because well, it's just a song about a postman! lol

Here's a clip of the demo I recorded, to keep myself from forgetting it.

It'll be featured on my first Grammy nominated album (circa-2011) :lol: :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6622746
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I will have to get mine into mp3 format, I'll get back to you......someday! :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I'll have my people contact your people say twenty years or so after I have left this humble abode for my entrance exam to pass through the pearly gates........... :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

First song I ever wrote was probably some cliché ridden piece of drivel of an anti-Viet Nam War song. You wouldn't want to hear it, even if I could find the lyrics or remember the melody. :roll:

JimK
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

OK, I'll spill, and I hope you don't think badly of me because I was only trying to help ...

My first song I remember making up was a response to the first public drama that I can remember witnessing: the assassination of JFK. I was just seven and it was the first time I had ever seen a group of people express a common grief. I offered it up at assembly where we had gathered at school. It was called, "President Kennedy Is Dead". It was meant to be a dirge but it came out more like Chubby Checker. Needless to say it went over like a lead balloon. You don't want to hear the words, trust me; they were impromptu. Later I found out that Dylan had written "He Was A Friend Of Mine" that very same day, and i felt somehow redeemed. Thanks again, Bob. :wink:
All I wanna do is rock!
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Insipidly stupid was the first song I wrote. To this day, even the title of it makes my eye twitch. Oy, was it bad.
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

tennis_nick wrote:Good question!

The very first was a short tune I had written for a girlfriend who went on to... break up with me a week later (she hadn't heard it yet), but it wasn't much of a tune.

The first song that I've written and liked is called "The Postman" because well, it's just a song about a postman! lol

Here's a clip of the demo I recorded, to keep myself from forgetting it.

It'll be featured on my first Grammy nominated album (circa-2011) :lol: :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6622746
Nick, that's pretty cool. It really should be on the Rutles soundtrack. It's a total Beatles pastiche but I'm still digging it.
The line about picking up your guitar amused me.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

When my band goes into the studio later this month, one of the songs we are recording is a song I wrote in 1987, the first real song I wrote.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

First song I ever wrote was right after I got my first Rick in late 82. It was an early 60s 425FG(my avatar)and was called "I'll see you there". A combination of Chords, Jam, and teenage lust. I was so stoked I had a Rick, unlike my poor neighbors :lol:
I've got it on cassette somewhere.
pinball63

Post by pinball63 »

I erased it!
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

The first one in this video, "Dreamer's Eyes." It actually started out as a poem I wrote in my junior year of high school, when I was trying to deal with a hopeless crush I had on a guy with green eyes--at the time I was too shy to even give him an indication that I liked him! Thankfully, I got over the crush in a few months' time, but I kept the poem, and always felt that it should have music....but at the time I was clueless about songwriting. Then, many years later I took guitar lessons and asked my instructor for some songwriting tips, and I went and wrote the music that very same day. It still is one of my personal favorites, and every time I sing it it brings back all of the emotions I felt when I penned the words...even though I never think about that guy anymore (thankfully!). The other song in the video, Underneath and Overall, also got its start as a poem I wrote the same year, and I wrote the music for it shortly after I wrote the music for Dreamer's Eyes.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_S4ENzI9z4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_S4ENzI9z4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

"The Vacuum Called Space"

G6 Dmaj7 Gmaj7 Dmaj7 :||

no lyrics.

c. 1993 Jason Mendelson
Last edited by jdogric12 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: disabled smilies
scotty

Post by scotty »

Bring me Sugar

You said you'd bring me sugar to my life
to make it sweeter but i didn't think
You said you'd bring me flowers to my grave
for my brief life for being so brave

How are you did you find out what's life
or where you caught out in middle age strife
3 kids and stuck at home all day
a husband rarely seems to stay
but i didn't think

You said you'd bring me sugar to my life