Extension cabinets for a combo

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Extension cabinets for a combo

Post by JakeK »

Paul Azpeitia and I were talking (on Facebook Instant Messenger) one night about extension cabinets. If I were performing in a small concert hall/auditorium, and I didn't feel like mic'ing the Deluxe to the PA, I would consider using a Blackface Bassman 2X12 extension cabinet, and use it as a mini-stack, kinda. And when I'm performing in small rooms and smaller venues, or recording even, I would use it as the combo it is.

How useful are extension cabs and how loud would a 2X12 in addition to the amp's internal speaker be?
shamustwin

Re: Extension cabinets for a combo

Post by shamustwin »

And while we're on the subject, I've plugged both my Bandmaster 2x12 and Bandmaster 4x12 cabinets into my Vibrolux Reverb and think I did the amp harm. What's the rule?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Jerry, the Vibrolux has an external jack good for a 4 ohm load, and the 2 x 12 is an 8 ohm load, but I could not find the specs for a 4 x 12 Bandmaster cab. I would assume it is 4 ohms. If it were 8 ohm, and you plugged the 2 x 12 into the Vibrolux jack, then the 4 x 12 into the 2 x 12 you would be okay with a 4 ohm load. BUT, if the 4 x 12 were a 4 ohm load, you would have put a 2.67 ohm load on the Vibrolux and could have caused your problem.

The rule, stick to the manufacturer's recommendation. :wink: :lol:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Jake, mic the amp for 2 reasons;

1) An extension cabinet will change the sound, maybe considerably, of the deluxe. Part of the sound and charm of this amp is it's open back design and the speaker Fender has matched up to it.

2)Extension cabinets can be pricey, and the right speaker(to your ear) can really run the bill up. Also, unlike guitar amps in general, speaker cabs usually are an item you end up being married to. By this I mean that they are hard to get your money back out of unless you got it really cheap. You would probably rather have the deluxe on its own than sitting on a cab with a different sound and not accomplishing the task you hoped it would.

I would just like to add that if it was really a complimentary option to throw the Deluxe on a cab, there would be a large aftermarket for them, starting with Fender. The Deluxe is one of the most used small club amps ever made, and I would bet nearly every owner has, or would have, been interested in at least trying an extension cab that would give you more volume, but not change the sound. I know the one I had sounded great, and tried plugging it in to a few different cabs, and didn't like the results.

Of course, you may plug your deluxe in to a cab, and find the sound you want. The only rights and wrongs here are the impedance issues regarding loading the output transformers of the amp. NEVER plug your tube amp in to a cabinet that you don't know the impedance of, and NEVER even turn on your tube amp without having a speaker, or other proper loading or testing device, plugged in to it.

Jake, I really think that a Twin is what you want/need. You will never, ever, not be able to hear your amp :D . The Twin also sounds good sitting on a 4x12, and its all tube signal path gives you all the goodies perfect for classic Who/Petty/Beatles, and just about everything else. Not to mention that you will be getting the most famous, and arguably the best reverb ever to come on an amp. Keep the Deluxe for recording and rehearsal, but get a twin and never have to worry about tone and volume again.

Just my take on your situation. :mrgreen:

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”