I got a VOX Valvetronix VT-30

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

octagon

I got a VOX Valvetronix VT-30

Post by octagon »

I went to Guitar Center and got a Valvetronix VT-30. What a great little amp.I love the VOX models especially the AC-30TB and the AC-30BM.

brammy

Re: I got a VOX Valvetronix VT-30

Post by brammy »

Congrats....

I've never tried it, but have also never like modeling amps to begin with. But if anyone can do it well, VOX can.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Mine's the #3 living room amp, after the Dual Showman and the Maggie M-10A. Nice slapback for that classic Cliff Gallup Gretsch juice.

Mitch, you gotta cover up that obscene chrome nastiness with some old-school VOX diamond cloth:

Instant subtle VOX look...

I think that diamond chrome s**t must've come from someone in China getting a deal from a screen door factory...

I see they've lost the VALVETRONIX script and gone over to smooth Tolex...
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

jingle_jangle wrote:.......Mitch, you gotta cover up that obscene chrome nastiness with some old-school VOX diamond cloth:.......
Naaahhh, jingle_jangle. Check out 8-Sided's surroundings. The metal works! Peace, out.......Goofyfoot.
Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Uh, yeah, David you're right... :oops: :oops: :oops:
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

jingle_jangle wrote:Uh, yeah, David you're right... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Naawwhh, Paul, I was just playing. Old school VOX diamond cloth works every time, brah. Every time. You are right and I agree. Late.....G-foot.
Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
octagon

Post by octagon »

While I do prefer the classic look of the VOX diamond pattern cloth,the chrome plate cover provides better protection against cat attack

windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

Great little amp....

Cool critter! 8)
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
kenf
Veteran RRF member

Post by kenf »

I picked one up a few weeks ago, but circumstances have conspired to keep me from doing more than testing that it works. The ones I played in the stores before I bought were very impressive!
650D, 660/12
Non-Ric: Precision 5, Sterling 4H, Stingray 5H, Bongo 5H, ThunderChief 5 x 2, L-1000, SG, Godin A6 & A12
"Rickenbacker?!?! You might as well be playing a tambourine!"
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks for the posts!Yeah,I am having alot of fun with this amp.Still trying to figure out some of the new models like the Express Train,what amp is that modeled on?

teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I think the Night Train head was modeled after a 1954 Sunbeam 2-slice model (a toaster for your toasters). In person, it's pretty cool looking though, and tiny. When was the last time you saw an amp that came with a polishing cloth? I've been trying hard to justify buying one, but every time I crank up the SMR twins to find an offensive tonal flaw as an excuse to behead and re-capitate one of them I can't find anything wrong with their sound and the louder I turn them up, the better they get. I guess I'm stuck with them. Plan B would be to equip them with little Voxy-styled wheeled trolleys. Anybody out there weld chrome tubing for folks on a budget? I also find it surprising that they didn't put a line out on the Night Train, which would be nice for recording.
Attachments
smrs-008.jpg
collin

Post by collin »

jingle_jangle wrote:
Mitch, you gotta cover up that obscene chrome nastiness with some old-school VOX diamond cloth:

+100

Metal grill is just no good. Especially in chrome (it's a bit nicer painted black, but obviously nicer with grill cloth).

I am floored by the sound of these little guys. I'm not entirely sold on the idea of recording with them, and personally I think they're a bit to small to gig with (even mic'ed), but for a little bedroom practice amp---this thing does it all!

Great for dialing in different amp tones--they do a good job of emulating other larger amps, and it certainly doesn't sound like small solid state practice amp.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

...and I like that Clean Boutique model, with a touch of slap-back on any of my Gretsches or Ricks.

My Fenders always go through the tube reverb and the non-vibrato channel of the Dual Showman. Wet.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I had the option of the NCM diamond grill cloth swap on my DA-5, but opted to keep the chrome, as I need it for protection in my truck. Hate to get the grillcloth snagged or the speaker punctured. I play all of my 6 strings, my 360/12, and even my 4003 through it, while plugging a cd player in to the aux in. The amps been hanging tough for almost 3 years now, and far exceeds(volume wise) what I need it to do. Highly recommended if you need a durable, portable, versatile amp.

I hear the bigger models sound great and have a lot of volume for the wattage.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Another vote for the chrome. I mean, either one is going to look terrible after I drag it through heck for a while, so I'd opt for better protection from flying beer bottles, headstocks, cymbal stands, etc. I'm afraid the pretty one would never leave the music room.
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”