Dating a Vintage Rick Guitar Case

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jstelter

Dating a Vintage Rick Guitar Case

Post by jstelter »

Hello,

Does any one know how to date a Rickenbacker guitar case? I have a 1969 340. The case sure looks original to the guitar. But how can I be sure? Please share thoughts and suggestions!
bails
Veteran RRF member

Re: Dating a Vintage Rick Guitar Case

Post by bails »

Cases certainly did vary over the years, with changes to interior lining colour, internal padding shapes, handles and latches. I doubt it's possible to date one to within a year, but certainly possible to date within an era. What colour is the exterior tolex?
What colour is the interior lining?
What shape is the internal padding?
Is there an internal compartment with it's own lid?
Is the handle leather or plastic?
Are the latches shield shaped or rectangular?
Do you have photos?
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
collin

Re: Dating a Vintage Rick Guitar Case

Post by collin »

'69- early seventies were kinda like "transition years" for Ric cases (actually made by Victoria luggage, which became G&G---a huge case manufacturer who makes cases for Fender and many others).

Typically through most of the sixties, a deluxe model hollowbody Ric will have a 16" wide Silver tolex covered case with blue "poodle" interior, and a compartment. Non-deluxe models were often (but not always) supplied with a similar case lacking the accessories compartment.

Starting sometime in 1968, some black tolex cases appeared and began featuring a variety of interior colors through the early 70s including dark red, dark purple, and a mustard color (the latter of which I have only seen on some 381 lightshow model cases).

Show us some pics of yours, or at least some details and we can tell you if it's correct or not, even though there are a wide variety of "correct" specs for that year.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”