Thanks For The Notice

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
admin
Site Admin

Thanks For The Notice

Post by admin »

I would like to thank all those who took the time to let us know that the site was ill and needed repairs. Doctor Gil performed the surgery. Normal programming has resumed.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Thanks For The Notice

Post by kiramdear »

Thank goodness it's cleared up now. I was starting to feel a bit grumpy about the situation. Thank you Doctor Gil! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Oh...so it wasn't my old Cretaceous era PC acting up again. Gee, I thought it was me. Thanks for fixing things up.
JimK
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

I was going to send an email on the link- but kinda figured others had already done so. Thanks, Peter/Brian/et al for having the courtesy to have at least a link pop up with a mailto on it when the actual page won't load. Good thinking.
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Man, I guess I'm glad I was busy cutting hay, I didn't even notice any problems! Thanks for getting it fixed before I even knew about it! :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Gil took care of the business end of things as usual. Thank goodness he is on our team.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Hey guys, nothing too serious - we had a flood of access to the server (not necessarily to rickresource) yesterday, I am talking about 7000 concurrent users which is more than 100 times the normal load, this resulted in memory starvation and the kernel started killing processes... It started with the fattest of them all - mysql which was restarted a few seconds later by a supervising script.
The result was a corruption of the posts table which I had to manually repair.
I am still looking at these really odd numbers, 7000 concurrent users seems like a ddos attack...

Anyways - the CPU didn't really care for these numbers, so it's about time to quadruple our RAM to 8gig, just in case...
So long and thanks for all the fish!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

gibsonlp wrote: I am still looking at these really odd numbers, 7000 concurrent users seems like a ddos attack...
I don't know a heck of a lot about computers, but I suspected exactly this scenario when I started getting the error messages.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Gil, if "debbie" is logging source addresses then I'd suggest checking with SORBS for any known zombie/hijacked netblocks.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

gibsonlp wrote:I am still looking at these really odd numbers, 7000 concurrent users seems like a ddos attack...
Well that's just a complete ego deflator for everyone in Hautewerk, SFD, Shamus Twins, and the Rickenbrothers; we probably all thought the site-crashing increase in traffic/users was due to folks wanting to collectively see all of our respective performance footage... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

gellkeller wrote:Gil, if "debbie" is logging source addresses then I'd suggest checking with SORBS for any known zombie/hijacked netblocks.
Thanks,
Where did you see the hostname?
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”