Lyrics, Melody, or Chord Progression First?

Putting music theory into practice

Do you write lyrics, chord Progression, or melody first?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Lyrics
18%
Melody
18%
Chord Progression
29%
Lyrics & Melody Together
No votes
Melody & Chord Progression Together
35%

Total votes: 17

jimk
RRF Consultant

Lyrics, Melody, or Chord Progression First?

Post by jimk »

There are a number of song writers on the RRF, and I got to wondering how different individuals go about the process of writing a song. I find the lyric to be the most difficult part of song writing, so I generally tackle that first. Once I have the lyric just the way I want it, the meter will begin to suggest a time signature, and melody. Last comes the chord progression.

How do each of you handle song writing?

JimK
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Re: Lyrics, Melody, or Chord Progression First?

Post by tennis_nick »

It totally depends, sometimes it's one / the other / both at the same time.

I find the ones that start with just lyrics get shelved, the ones that have both at once become favorites.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I am probably alone in this since most of the time when I write a song I write everything at once........because in reality I have already developed the structure, the arrangement etc., based on how I hear the song in my head. Then I will use the melody and the chords to get the phrasing right for the lyrics. I hope this makes sense to you Jim.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Chord progression is about as far as I go..... I need a collaborator or two for the rest!! :wink: :wink:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

winston wrote:I am probably alone in this since most of the time when I write a song I write everything at once........because in reality I have already developed the structure, the arrangement etc., based on how I hear the song in my head. Then I will use the melody and the chords to get the phrasing right for the lyrics. I hope this makes sense to you Jim.
Yeah, it makes sense. The reason I deliberately write the lyrics first, is because those songs where I've tried to write lyrics & melody all at the same time prove to be the most difficult to edit, or even re-write. The melody becomes laminated to the lyric.
JimK
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Well,

While I don't consider myself a "writer" I have written about a dozen tunes for church, even one Christmas song.

For some reason, the words came to me first. Then I went back with our guitarist for the chords....

Everyone collaborated and would add their own parts and the song would be born!

I like having everyone having a hand in the process... I haven't put one together in a long time, but it sure was a fun
process while it lasted.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Ummm, all of the above, but at least two out of three?

It really depends for me on which song you ask me about. Sometimes it's a snippet of words with a melody, sometimes it's a piece of a chord phrase that gets fleshed out, the only pattern I see in my own writing is that it takes parts of two out of those three elements to get me started and then it catches fire. If I just have one of those things I'm liable to table it for a while, but when a second element finds its place then the rest snowballs into a song. But then sometimes after some meditattion it springs complete from my brain to my fingers in a flash. I just never know where it will come from.
All I wanna do is rock!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Fascinating stuff here, everyone. I hope others will join in the discussion. The creative process interests me very much.

JimK
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

For me, it usually works one of two ways. Either I come up with a cool chord progression first, or I come up with a phrase or a line or two that I like and just sort of hum it while strumming.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Usually a chord progression first that may become an instrumental,
I then write some bad poetry that may become a good song, with me it's very rare...

Eden.
StringTheorist

Post by StringTheorist »

Usually, for me it starts with a chord progression, which suggests a melody, which together suggest a mood or emotion, which suggests the lyrics.

I'll record the chord progression and listen to it in the car, etc. until I've hummed a melody that I like, then I start to come up with words. On a couple of occasions, I stopped at the melody and just did it as an instrumental tune, even though I'd originally been thinking it would be a song.

I find the lyrics for me to be the hardest thing, and the thing I'm likely to be least happy about in the finished song. I have a few songs I wrote that I never play now because I've never been happy with the lyrics, but I love the music. Lately, I've been looking at those with the idea of writing new words, to salvage them.

Some of my original songs (including an instrumental) can be found here: http://www.stringtheoristsband.com
Sorry, no ricks on the recordings (yet), since I just got my Ricky.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Interesting question, Jim. It's on the line of which came first, the chicken or the egg? For me it starts somewhere between chord progression and melody. One leads to the other, or vice versa.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

The only thing I've ever been able to do is come up with a decent bass line for stuff other people have written...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Great question but it is impossible for me to answer. It could be any of the above. Constant revisions may sound tedious, but will allow any order or combination.
customxke

Post by customxke »

It usually starts with heartache. After that I work on the whiskey. The song comes last.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”