Gypsy Jazz?

Putting music theory into practice
longhouse
Advanced Member

Gypsy Jazz?

Post by longhouse »

Flamenco guitar may be the most physically demanding on the player, but gypsy jazz might be a close second. Thanks to Django and all the players who helped forged this dazzling style.

I've had the pleasure of seeing the John Jorgenson Quintet two years in a row in the same little cafe/music club where I've been known to perform.
Last night I had the pleasure of emceeing the show, sitting 3 feet away from John, and capturing a few songs on video.

Here is 'El Camino de Che' from last night, a song I requested:

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Gypsy Jazz?

Post by jdogric12 »

Neat. I wish I could see yt at work. :(
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

It's an unreal display of talent, J-dog.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

:shock: Wow! Simply amazing!
All I wanna do is rock!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

kiramdear wrote::shock: Wow! Simply amazing!
Ditto that! :shock: :D
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Anyone seen Sweet & Lowdown?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Thanks for posting, Noel. Django probably my favorite guitar player. John's playing in that clip is very Django-esque, but what he's playing over isn't, so I'm not really sure that one could consider that "gypsy jazz".

Here's a clip that really typifies what Django was all about, with Le Hot Club of France and Stephane Grappelli:

customxke

Post by customxke »

JJ plays Django in a movie called "Head In The Clouds".....he's in one scene, but its not a bad flick.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

sloop_john_b wrote:Thanks for posting, Noel. Django probably my favorite guitar player. John's playing in that clip is very Django-esque, but what he's playing over isn't, so I'm not really sure that one could consider that "gypsy jazz".
Agreed John. JJ always plays around with the theme, injecting bits of Chet, Danny Gatton, Les Paul, Balkan, and true flamenco into his phrasing. Of course, he always plays a few Django pieces in their purest context (be it 'Nuages' or one of his numberous Swings). Then he picks up a clarinet and WAILS on that instrument with as much skill and aplomb. It's unreal.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:Anyone seen Sweet & Lowdown?
It's a great film, J-dog!
collin

Post by collin »

Love Gypsy Jazz.

I'm a huge Django fan, but it's just one of those styles I don't even know how to approach playing. I'm just left there scratching my head, I know it's not rocket science....but it's far from easy, that's for sure (especially in that it's so naked---every flaw would be highlighted etc). Maybe I just revere it enough to NOT attempt playing it. :lol:

My fav. Django tune by FAR:

longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

The technique is a weird hybrid of jazz and flamenco ...coupled, of course, with the inovations Django came up with (perhaps to compensate for his wrecked hand). Those one and two string runs are dazzling!

Then you need silver-wrapped copper wound strings. The thing that made my eyes bug most, Collin, were the picks. These guys play with THICK plectrums.

The rhythm player (Mr. Thousandinversions) was physically spent at the end of the second set.

Little me introducing '2009 Grammy Award winner John Jorgenson'.
Shared a little anecdote about my son saying, "I love this music Dad. They should put John Jorgenson songs on Guitar Hero ...but they would have to add more buttons!"
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Here's another clip from the show featuring some close-up shots of John's hands.

You may want to scroll up to the 55 second point to get past Mrs.Wontshutup...

Lots of stuff going on in this song.

In case the imbed business ins't working just so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-flMtd0zsZg
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

And you can even buy Maccaferri guitars!!! :D

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati ... ri+guitars
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

:shock: Whoa! JJ blows me away! I could watch him play all day. That's a great song and that second solo and ending are simply mind blowing. Love that Gypsy style. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”