Is this legit: 360 1962

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pfflam

Is this legit: 360 1962

Post by pfflam »

Well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rickenbacker-360-Fi ... 53dfdb4350

I'm wondering if this year had these parts, particularly those Stove-knobs and that single gold pickguard?
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Is this legit: 360 1962

Post by winston »

My 1961 375 OS FG had oven knobs from factory. The top part of the guard set is missing on that guitar.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Yep, that should have a top guard.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

That's definitely a `62!
Note the transitional style headstock; sort of between the larger `58 type headstock and the ultra skinny headstocks of the mid-late 60s models, and the skinny headstocks of 70s/early 80s models that pre-date the "Gumby" style headstock.

Very cool guitar. The FG has faded/mellowed significantly. It's practically a "no glo"!
collin

Post by collin »

paologregorio wrote: Very cool guitar. The FG has faded/mellowed significantly. It's practically a "no glo"!

Yeah, i'm in love with this guitar-----decent price too (for CME, at least...). I do remember nicer ones selling for the same figure a year ago though.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

It's gone. I was trying to work a deal with them but they sold it earlier today.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

It wasn't me that bought it .........in case anyone was wondering.

It was just a bit too beat up. Both for my taste and for the price they were asking. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

I lowballed them with an offer and they countered with $4900. That was something I could work with. I asked for photos of the control cavity but nothing happened then the listing was pulled. I'm betting they sold it in store for more than their offer to me.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Personally I think $5K was the max it was worth.

The bridge was resting to close to the plate, and if you look at the side pics of it , the action appeared to be very high. Not a lot of room to work with, just my dos centavos.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

IMO that guitar was worth about $4-5K tops so Ron in my mind you were making them an offer near the top it its value. It needs a lot of work and as Stan pointed out perhaps it needs its neck reset. That observation was also made by me and that's one of the reasons why I passed on it.

libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Yeah, I was concerned about the neck reset issue, so I asked for a photo of the bass side of the neck by the neck p/up. Here's what I got:
sized001.JPG
The bridge had about 3/16" to move down, so it wasn't a total disaster. And I wasn't going to pay $4900 for it, but -- like Collin -- I do like the "well played" look and these pre-'65 double-bounds don't come along very often.

I was surprised at how fast they went from $6995 to $4900 on this one. But, you're right, even that was pricey.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll get over it!
collin

Post by collin »

Wow, I would have paid $4900 for it....I wish I knew they were going that low!

Even with a neck reset....I'm a sucker for well-played guitars. Not to the point of paying more for it....but I kinda prefer them like that.

Dayum, deal of the month right there.
apossibleworld

Post by apossibleworld »

Well this little beater is in its way to me. As a touring musician (nothing you've ever heard of) who's always wanted a pre-65 360 or 365, I'm very excited, and feel it was a fair price. There aren't any other guitars like this on the market, other than pristine examples that are destined for fancier collections than mine. I know that it's a risk that the neck angle will be ok enough, but I have a feeling it will be ok. I'll report back once it's in hand. woo hoo!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Hey Robbie, welcome to the forum. I hope that guitar works out for you. I'd be interested to know the story of how you came by it -- in the store, or persuaded the seller to end the auction early.

In any event, welcome and good luck!
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Welcome Robbie,

The guitar looks amazing! Please let us know how it is when you get it.

Dan

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”