Crowded House 12 String

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

HKC

Crowded House 12 String

Post by HKC »

Hi
It's been a while since I last posted here but that's just because all my Rics (330/12, 360, 620 and 4001) work like they should.
Anyway I just saw Crowded House last night and Mark Hart played a 12 string which had the body of a Rick but the head was different. The pickups looked like they were mini humbuckers. Does anybody have an idea what this was. I have googled it a bit but all references are based on Neil Finns Maton Fyrebyrd or the Jerry Jones that he played on last tour. This one is like I described, a Ric but then again probably not.

Henrik
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Crowded House 12 String

Post by jingle_jangle »

Good question...

Could be a Crocker corker:

piers1.jpg

anybody else have any idea?
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Doesn't one of the guys own a Framus?

My 2 eurocents...
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
HKC

Post by HKC »

I wasn't standing very close but it looked like the head was a bit like a spanish guitar but I could be wrong. It was white and the body was not unlike an 381 but with a head like I described and mini humbuckers.
HKC

Post by HKC »

I have googled the Crockenbacker and the Framus lines. It wasn't any of these.
Of course the Crockenbackers are built on demand and from Sydney so it's possible that Mark Hart has had one built especially for him since he's also from that part of the world.
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

mark plays black j jones 12 & recently this fyrbyrd 20-12. ...neil used to have 370/12rm but he went with this red fyrbyrd 20-12 too.
maybe one of them picked up modern maton 12 electric - it does look bit like some vintage guitar and the pickups are humbucker looking...
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
HKC

Post by HKC »

In my memory, and that is not without its flaws, it didn't look like the modern Matons. It also was white which is not an option on Matons homepage. There's also the head which was different I think. He didn't play the Maton Fyrebyrd or the Jerry Jones at all on this particular occasion. I also saw them in 2007 where he played both of these. This time the white mystery guitar was the one he chose for all his 12 string parts. I also sounded like the thick/thin string setup was like a Ric not a Danoe or a Fender or whatever.
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

was it hofner > hofner 12 string 457/12 ?
check it http://www.palka.com/auctions_2008/hofner12.html if its that what he had, they made them in three colours with white being one of them...
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
HKC

Post by HKC »

It had a body similar to a 381, was white and had a head a bit like a spanish guitar and mini humbuckers. It also looked fairly new but that could be due to a refinishing job. Obviously it's not a very common guitar and I am so irritated with myself that I didn't take a picture of him playing it. I just spoke to another musician friend og mine who also saw the concert and he too also thought it was a Ric at first but then noticed the head was different.

Henrik
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Any youtube video of him with the guitar maybe?
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I've only seen them with Maton 12s in the past...
HKC

Post by HKC »

I think this was one of their first shows in Europe this time so he must have changed his setup. I have spoken to more people now who noticed this almost a Ric. He played it a lot so I'm sure there will eventually be somebody who knows what it is. Interesting guitars all the way through in that band.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

May we have our guitar in this here video?

Italia Rimini?
Last edited by electrofaro on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

It has all of the same styling cues, but Ive never seen one with that German type carve, and all of the ones I've seen are covered in accordion plastic, even at Winter NAMM `10. Maybe it's a Crockemini?
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

What's accordion plastic? :?:

Stop the YouTube video above at 2:08 and you'll see the tailpiece is Italia as well!

The RImini Classic 12 has the german carving:

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”