Brian Wilson rejoining The Beach Boys!

Entertainment

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

octagon

Brian Wilson rejoining The Beach Boys!

Post by octagon »

Just saw this today

"Brian Wilson to Rejoin Beach Boys

In an interview with the Las Vegas Sun, Beach Boys frontman Mike Love has said founding member Brian Wilson will rejoin the group for some concerts to celebrate 50 years of the band.

“Now we’re gearing up for the 50th anniversary, and Brian Wilson, who has been working on some unfinished Gershwin music project, will rejoin us,” Love said. “I’m sad that Carl Wilson passed away 11, 12 years ago from the same lung cancer problem that claimed the life of George Harrison. That was not a fun time for us.”

Brian’s brothers (and Love’s cousins) Dennis and Carl have both passed away. Love is the only founding member who performs with the official Beach Boys band. After battling drug abuse and mental illness, Brian has toured as a solo musician in recent years, performing Pet Sounds and the finally completed Smile. There’s no word if Al Jardine (the third living, original member) will join the reunion. He currently tours with his sons in a band called Endless Summer.

No official announcement has been made as to when and where Brian will reunite with Love and the rest of The Beach Boys touring band."
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Brian Wilson rejoining The Beach Boys!

Post by jingle_jangle »

Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys.

The shadow oldies band that Mike Love has been foisting on a gullible younger fan base is akin to a dancing bear--minimal originality, and all in the name of commerce.

Much of Brian's meager completed output for the last 25 years has eclipsed anything that the touring band is able to summon from the vaults to this day.

In later life we all seem to be vulnerable to nostalgia and a desire to go back and "Do It Again". Brian is no exception--he's a really soft-hearted guy, up against a cousin with ice water in his veins.

I just have two wishes:

1. That Brian would regain his strong personality, so he could stand up to Mike's harping, nagging, and money-grubbing, and promote his own agenda.

2. That Carl and Dennis were alive to join them.

Unfortunately, both wishes will remain unfulfilled. :cry:
Dave Scantland

Post by Dave Scantland »

jingle_jangle wrote:Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys.
Without question.
jingle_jangle wrote:The shadow oldies band that Mike Love has been foisting on a gullible younger fan base is akin to a dancing bear--minimal originality, and all in the name of commerce.
And, based on having seen them two or three times, not very good at performing Beach Boys songs -- not that that's an easy thing to do.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jingle_jangle wrote:Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys.

The shadow oldies band that Mike Love has been foisting on a gullible younger fan base is akin to a dancing bear--minimal originality, and all in the name of commerce.

Much of Brian's meager completed output for the last 25 years has eclipsed anything that the touring band is able to summon from the vaults to this day.

In later life we all seem to be vulnerable to nostalgia and a desire to go back and "Do It Again". Brian is no exception--he's a really soft-hearted guy, up against a cousin with ice water in his veins.

I just have two wishes:

1. That Brian would regain his strong personality, so he could stand up to Mike's harping, nagging, and money-grubbing, and promote his own agenda.

2. That Carl and Dennis were alive to join them.

Unfortunately, both wishes will remain unfulfilled. :cry:
+1 on the whole post. I have long thought that the nitwit in question has spent most of his life wishing that he were Brian and fuming because he wasn't. I also think that Brian is 'trading down' in the name of nostalgia. He's doing fine without this reunion.

Besides, Carl's vocal harmonies and guitar playing are essential; it's not the Beach Boys without him. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
brammy

Post by brammy »

That Carl and Dennis were alive to join them.
+100
Dave Scantland

Post by Dave Scantland »

Not going to happen, according to Mike Love. From http://www.thebeachboys.com/home.aspx:
At this time there are no plans for my cousin Brian to rejoin the tour. He has new solo projects on the horizon and I wish him love and success. We have had some discussions of writing and possibly recording together, but nothing has been planned. I . . . felt the need to clarify that there are no current 'reunion' tour plans.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

brammy wrote:
That Carl and Dennis were alive to join them.
+100
Great video - I love the Lost Concert, btw! I'd never go to any of Mike Love's or Brian Wilson's tours - nor Sir Paul - same thing, it's just not the same!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless

Return to “On Stage”