Searchers/Dylan

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Searchers/Dylan

Post by nick_allen »

An article in today's Daily Telegraph, on unreleased Bob Dylan songs, includes this brief Searchers reference:
"13 Coming From the Heart
One of Dylan’s best love songs, co-written with backing singer Helena Springs. It was performed only once, at a concert in October 1978. It would be left to the Searchers to put it in the public domain."

Full article here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... arded.html
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Searchers/Dylan

Post by royclough »

Yes inderd appeared on their debut Sire album in late 79. That album was soon withdrawn however and re-issued with totally different cover 3 new tracks were added and one track removed which in fact was Coming From The Heart

If anyone wants to hear it just let me know I'll post it
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I'd like to hear that, Roy! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Me too, please :)
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Here you go

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks, Roy! I liked that. When was it written? To me it's not one of Dylan's most inspired, but Searchers give it a very nice feeling; I especially like the outro. Good one! 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Another good rarity Roy.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

royclough wrote:Yes inderd appeared on their debut Sire album in late 79. That album was soon withdrawn however and re-issued with totally different cover 3 new tracks were added and one track removed which in fact was Coming From The Heart

If anyone wants to hear it just let me know I'll post it
Fortunately it stayed on the North American release of Searchers. The withdrawel and reissue of that LP (in the UK) in short a short period of time is just out and out strange.

It's also available on the Sire Sessions CD.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The withdrawel and reissue of that LP (in the UK) in short a short period of time is just out and out strange.
I don't think so David though impetus was lost, the first Sire album was the comeback album certainly based on reviews in music press.

In an article called Take It Or Leave It - A Personal View on Clough Links I wrote

"Firstly, Sire got the initial marketing wrong for the debut album. Trendy though the album cover was, it would not have struck the person browsing through the record rack’s that this was “The Searchers” of the sixties, Sire recalled the album, revamped the cover, added new tracks and re-issued it 5 months after the initial release, but some of the impact had been lost."

clough links
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Another Searchers Dylan rarity, audio quality not brilliant but song never recorded.

JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

This is really good Roy, any idea as to when it was recorded?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

It is from mid 70s used to be a feature in the act
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

Wow. I was only 20 years off.

dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

royclough wrote:
The withdrawel and reissue of that LP (in the UK) in short a short period of time is just out and out strange.
I don't think so David though impetus was lost, the first Sire album was the comeback album certainly based on reviews in music press.

In an article called Take It Or Leave It - A Personal View on Clough Links I wrote

"Firstly, Sire got the initial marketing wrong for the debut album. Trendy though the album cover was, it would not have struck the person browsing through the record rack’s that this was “The Searchers” of the sixties, Sire recalled the album, revamped the cover, added new tracks and re-issued it 5 months after the initial release, but some of the impact had been lost."

clough links
Certainly Sire deserves credit for doing something so unconventional in an attempt to get an excellent album onto the charts. It did not happen over here of course.

It makes for some interesting collectibility issues though.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Making allowance for the quality of the recording, that was a nice version and arrangement of Lay Down Your Weary Tune - I'm surprised they never put it on a record.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”