Strings

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lyric_girl

Strings

Post by lyric_girl »

Can somebody tell me which strings I have on my brand new 360? Also, in terms of replacement strings, what other brands do you guys use or do you just use Ric strings?

Thanks,

Lynda
'10 360 JetGlo
Clint
Intermediate Member

Re: Strings

Post by Clint »

If you bought the guitar new, the strings are probably RIC compressed roundwounds, 10-42. Most stores don't carry them but you can order them from RIC's boutique, Pick of the Ricks or the Rickenbacker Page.

Many people (myself included, 10-46) like D'Addario roundwounds. They sound good, last a long time and can be found just about everywhere. If you like the feel and sound of the compressed roundwounds but can't get RIC strings, try GHS Nickel Rockers 10-46. I really like these, I'm thinking about switching to the Nickel Rockers for all my six strings. Right now I'm trying out a set of SIT strings, They even include an extra E and B string.The SIT strings seem comparable to D'Addario, but they feel different to me, maybe a bit stiffer. I can't quite put my finger on it and I can't decide if I like them or not. I hope this helps.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

I LOVE Elixirs!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

What Clint said is probably true; that if you bought your Rick new, it likely had Rickenbacker brand strings installed at the factory.

I've been using Curt Mangan strings which I order from Pick Of The Ricks. They're the same gauge at the RIC strings, 10-42. And I've been quite happy with them.
JimK
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I have also been enjoying CM's.

I just ordered a ton of single strings from juststrings.com based on those gauges, for 12 strings, and the 5002's.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have D'Addario Extra Light Chromes on my '67 330, seems like a great match.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

GHS Boomer 10's for me.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
lyric_girl

Post by lyric_girl »

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, this is my brand new Ric from Rickenbacker, so I was seeking which gauge of strings it shipped with. Thank you for the advice on replacement strings. I will have to try different brands to see what I like.

Thanks,

Lynda
'10 360 JetGlo
buchrob

Post by buchrob »

The GHS Brite Flats .10 set is a fairly equivalent widely-avalable set to what is delivered with Rics. Also available a little thinner or thicker if you like.

If you want something "smooother to play", then the Tomastik-Infeld Jazz flats will provide a totally different experience.

Other roundwounds are just that, other roundwounds, and will sound the same as other "generic" guitars.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Earnie Ball Hybrid Slinkes.
Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Prism flat-wounds. Nothing quite like 'em.
360girl

Post by 360girl »

Make mine D' Addario EXL115Ws (wound 3rd/G string) please! :) I used D' Addario 10s with a wound 3rd for over 25 years, but late last year, I switched to 11s, and I prefer them tone and feelwise over the 10s I used for so long.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”