More 'verb!

Reverberations from Duane Eddy and beyond
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

More 'verb!

Post by elreydlp »

Can't have too much!
Surfguitar 101 Convention: 8/7/10
Left-right: RRF's "elreydlp", Lorenzo Valdambrini (Wadadli Riders from Antigua and Italy), Allan Bridges (Outerwave, LA), & Dick "mr_pkgs" Moritz from Oregon on Los Straitjacket's "Tailspin". The performance was dedicated to "Tailspin's" writer, Danny "Daddy-O-Grande" Amis plus Surf icons Dick Dale & Miles Corbin (Aquavelvets), who are dealing with major health problems. Get well guys!

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: More 'verb!

Post by kenposurf »

Way to rock Skip!...nice back up band too 8) 8) 8)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Sounds GREAT! Nice 'verb too!

So, what are you using for reverb?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

kenposurf wrote:Way to rock Skip!...nice back up band too 8) 8) 8)
We all met for the first time that morning about an hour before taking the stage. Those guys were total pros-and great guys.
I'm going to post some vids of Lorenzo's band The Wadadli Riders on this Forum. He plays guitar (very well) with his band as well as drums. For any European Forumites, he also puts on the "Surfer Joe" Festival in Livorno, Italy. It was last month.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

cjj wrote:Sounds GREAT! Nice 'verb too!

Thanks CJ!
I was playing through a vintage-not reissue brown-Fender Reverb and a Blond Dual Showman-both provided by John Blair of "Jon and the Nightriders". The reverb sounds better on the video than it did on stage. To me, it sounded "clangy"-kind of like the old Danelectro/Silvertone reverb. Other guys using that rig seemed to have trouble, and it was later determined that the unit had a problem. Reverb is a hot topic among Surf guys. I'm perfectly happy with my stock '63 Reissue that I bought used about 10 years ago. I use it with all my amps except my Mesa Blue Angel which has an excellent onboard reverb.
duke

Post by duke »

Cool stuff! Great playing! My feet are still tappin'!
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

elreydlp wrote:
cjj wrote:Sounds GREAT! Nice 'verb too!

Thanks CJ!
I was playing through a vintage-not reissue brown-Fender Reverb and a Blond Dual Showman-both provided by John Blair of "Jon and the Nightriders". The reverb sounds better on the video than it did on stage. To me, it sounded "clangy"-kind of like the old Danelectro/Silvertone reverb. Other guys using that rig seemed to have trouble, and it was later determined that the unit had a problem. Reverb is a hot topic among Surf guys. I'm perfectly happy with my stock '63 Reissue that I bought used about 10 years ago. I use it with all my amps except my Mesa Blue Angel which has an excellent onboard reverb.
Great posts Skip..in particular fir those of us :cry: who could not be there!
Interesting thoughts re: reverb units..my first was a silver Danelectro ..that w/ a Magnatone amp and a St George guitar was my first surf rig..opened for The Lively Ones playing that setup..hah
I went through a lot of different reverb units the last several years...Fender Reissues that I had worked over..had a lot of problems with the solder connections ..Reissues that were converted to point to point some just a tube cap mod...several vintage Fenders that really varied in sound quality..now playing the Gomez G-Spring which is the best I've ever played and built much better then anything else out there new or vintage..not afraid to kick it when I need to!
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Thanks George!
Perhaps you could make SCARF in October. I can provide lodging and local transportation!
Sorry to be co-opting your Forum, but over the next couple of weeks I'd like to post some of the highlight videos from the convention and some of the pleasant surprizes I had.
Re. Reverb Units: As with everything else, it seems that no matter what I play, I sound like me. I foolishly traded a BF '65 for a Marshall combo and bought my reissue a few weeks later. I honestly couldn't tell a difference-for me. I mentioned my Blue Angels onboard reverb. That's what I used on the DVD I sent you. I am no longer satisfied with Fender onboard reverbs however.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Np Skip I welcome your posts..keep em coming !
I found the Gomez reverb to be smoother and I have more control ..in other words when I change the settings even a small amount I hear a difference which is a feature I appreciate.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Dario's stuff is da' kine, and he's a great guy too. At some point-IF the economy ever turns around, or I hit the lottery, I'll cull my herd and get one of his units-and a "Surfer". I'm just not motivated to sell in this economy and don't have room for anything else.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Much better audio and video quality:

duke

Post by duke »

Too cool! 8)

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”