Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 with a Rickenbacker?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

fireglo67

Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 with a Rickenbacker?

Post by fireglo67 »

Has anyone tried a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 with a Rickenbacker 6 string?
I'd be interested to know what the clean headroom is like and how it handles effects pedals.
Cheers.

Rob.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Re: Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 with a Rickenbacker?

Post by ozover50 »

Hey, Rob!

I play both a 350v63 (modded with a humbucker at the bridge and master volume control for the middle pickup) and a 360v64 through a HRD 4x10 and they both sound great! I've never had the amp above 4 on stage and I can get a nice clean sound at a suitable level for pubs and clubs with both guitars. Switch channels and I can get as dirty as I like. :D

The v64 is generally used for blues using the neck pickup wheras I tend to use the v63 for 'rocky' stuff using the bridge and middle.

I used to use a Korg AX1500 pedal for chorus but I have since ditched that because it doesn't really suit the music played in both bands that I'm in. I have tried an OCD pedal with excellent results but again I don't really need that type of sound.

I've tried plenty of other amps with those guitars (Roland JC120 & Cube 80, Marshall valve and valvestate, Vox AC30CC1, Peavey Stereo Chorus, Orange valve for example) and I can honestly say that I prefer the HRD to anything else. I went for the HRD 4x10 over the 2x12 because I found it had a bit more 'guts' in the midrange area and the bottom end wasn't quite as 'boomy'. I tend to have the bass, treble and mid controls on the amp roughly in the middle with the presence control slightly above that.

Keep in mind that I'm basically a rhythm player so I don't need much in the way of overdrive or distortion - no soaring leads here!! :D

Well worth an audition IMO.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

ozover50 wrote:Hey, Rob!

I play both a 350v63 (modded with a humbucker at the bridge and master volume control for the middle pickup) and a 360v64 through a HRD 4x10 and they both sound great! I've never had the amp above 4 on stage and I can get a nice clean sound at a suitable level for pubs and clubs with both guitars. Switch channels and I can get as dirty as I like. :D

The v64 is generally used for blues using the neck pickup wheras I tend to use the v63 for 'rocky' stuff using the bridge and middle.

I used to use a Korg AX1500 pedal for chorus but I have since ditched that because it doesn't really suit the music played in both bands that I'm in. I have tried an OCD pedal with excellent results but again I don't really need that type of sound.

I've tried plenty of other amps with those guitars (Roland JC120 & Cube 80, Marshall valve and valvestate, Vox AC30CC1, Peavey Stereo Chorus, Orange valve for example) and I can honestly say that I prefer the HRD to anything else. I went for the HRD 4x10 over the 2x12 because I found it had a bit more 'guts' in the midrange area and the bottom end wasn't quite as 'boomy'. I tend to have the bass, treble and mid controls on the amp roughly in the middle with the presence control slightly above that.

Keep in mind that I'm basically a rhythm player so I don't need much in the way of overdrive or distortion - no soaring leads here!! :D

Well worth an audition IMO.

Thanks Howard!

That's all I need to hear, I'll definitely give one a whirl. :D
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

No worries, Rob.

Greg Rahilly uses one on stage with his 330 and it sounds brilliant also! 8)
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”