'loose' rods?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

brycycle
Advanced Member

'loose' rods?

Post by brycycle »

hi Paul -

i have a pending deal on a '72 4001. the potential buyer took it to a local shop who attempted to adjust the rods to no avail. the nuts turned, but the neck didn't seem to move. apparently when he tapped on the back of the neck the rods sounded "loose".

is this simply a cae of the rods needing re-taped? if so, what would you estimate the cost of the work to be?

thanks-
Bryce
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Re: 'loose' rods?

Post by coolhandjjl »

He needs to take it to a shop that knows what it's doing. On a 4001, if you merely turn the nuts, you risk popping off the fretboard. The neck has to be moved manually first.

http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/Rick%20maint.htm
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Hi, Bryce...seems John is channeling me or something...

OK. you say "retaping" (to reapply tape). Do you mean "retapping", meaning to cut new threads?

Anyway, on a Rick bass of this vintage, it's a couple hours' work at most to get the rods back into shape. The nuts and rods are of approximately equal hardness, but I've seen more rods stripped than nuts, because the rods have only about 50% threads due to their flat cross-section. If they are stripped, it's a simple matter to pull them, cut them down an inch or so, re-tap them, re-TAPE and re-arc them, lube 'em up a bit, and slip them back in.

Remember that early rods have to be held in position while the nuts are tightened, or you can cause issues: fretboard popping or uneven stress being onlyb two of these; none are good outcomes.
brycycle
Advanced Member

Post by brycycle »

Thanks, guys. I did mean TAPE, Paul. I've adjusted necks properly in the past (manual pressure). The diagnosis came 2nd hand from the potential buyer who took it to a reputable shop. Though, i do question their experience w these old Rics as they quoted around $600 for the work. :shock:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Get a second opinion from someone who knows Rickenbackers, Bryce.
brycycle
Advanced Member

Post by brycycle »

jingle_jangle wrote:Get a second opinion from someone who knows Rickenbackers, Bryce.
yup. tempted to send it down to Larry D. if this party is still interested in purchasing the bass.
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

sounds to me like that "potential buyer" is looking for discount because of 'loose rods'
:roll:
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”