Rick 360 Neck Pickup Problem

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I have a problem with my 360's neck pickup, its just stopped working. Not had the guitar long, and it hasnt been knocked or abused, so seems very strange.

Ive had a look at the guts inside. Now im no professional, but i have wired a few guitars and i know the basics, yet cant find anything wrong? All soldering seems solid, and theres nothing loose. Selector switch looks to be clicking in where it should to.

Has anyone had any experience with this? There is alot of wiring in there, and wondering if the rick-o-sound and sorts could be to do with it? I just hope its not the pickup itself...how would i check if it is?

Treble pickup is spot on, and still works when the selector is in the middle...but neck never comes on.

Thanks in advance.
sixtwentytwelve

Re: Rick 360 Neck Pickup Problem

Post by sixtwentytwelve »

Try spraying a small amount of DeOxit (electrical contact cleaner available at Radio Shack and other outlets) in the jack cavities; no need to disassemble anything -- you can clean up any excess by following up with a rolled up piece of paper towel. It's counterintuitive, but in my experience a dead pickup is often caused by oxidation on one or both sets of jack contacts. Sometimes the toggle switch contacts beneath the guard can also be the culprit.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Kyle, is this guitar new and covered under warranty ?
cmuk

Post by cmuk »

Hi, you wouldn't by any chance be plugging a mono lead into your Ric-O-Sound socket by mistake?
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

I had this problem years ago and I resolved it by taping a contact inside the jack plug together with some electrical tape and haven't had an issue with it since.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

It won't be under warranty as it was bought second hand.

I've had a look taking the jack sockets put already, nothing seems to be loose. It's a weird one. All soldering seems solid.

Also I've tried plugging in to both jacks, only the treble pickup comes through.
scotty

Post by scotty »

cmuk wrote:Hi, you wouldn't by any chance be plugging a mono lead into your Ric-O-Sound socket by mistake?
i know this sounds really daft but i will second Clive's thoughts.Make sure your your not plugging into Rickosound and make sure all knobs are turned up,including the small blend knob.just starting at the obvious...
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

As above, i am not making that mistake, nor would i ever. i have even tried both jacks to make sure, but both play treble pickup only.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Could be the selector switch. It may be necessary to pull the pickup and check it with a VOM if the switch is not the culprit. But, Rick pickups almost never go bad while they're inside the guitar, unless it's a flood victim...

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”