360 - Hi gains or Toasters

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rkhiii

360 - Hi gains or Toasters

Post by rkhiii »

I'm in Georgia and there's an online dealer in MD that has a bunch of Ric's on his site. I'm considering trading into one and wanted some opinions on high gains vs toasters since he has both. I've owned an amberglo 620 which I didn't love (the neck seemed to throw it out of tune at the slightest pressure if that makes any sense) and I've owned a montezuma brown 360-12 which didn't really suite me (the neck was too small for me, at least for a 12-string). So there ya go...that's what I've had and the reasons I didn't keep 'em. I understand this is a presonal preference thing but any input would be appreciated.
360girl

Re: 360 - Hi gains or Toasters

Post by 360girl »

It depends upon what you want to play musically I guess. If you want more jangle, or a more vintage sound, the toasters might be the way to go. If you want a little more aggressive sound, the Hi-Gains (or a retrofit of the Ric mini-humbuckers), is probably a better choice. Me? I prefer the Hi-Gains my 360 has. But that's because I like heavier sounding, harder driving music.
rkhiii

Post by rkhiii »

Good point. Probably more into the vintage jangle but would really prefer the more versatile of the two pickups. Have a Les Paul Custom for the aggressive stuff so the Ric wouldn't need to scratch that itch. Are the hi gains actually mini hum buckers?
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

No, the high gains are single-coil, not mini-humbuckers. (There are also Rickenbacker humbuckers, but they're a separate beast). The Ricks you had in the past very likely had the high gains. They can still jangle, albeit not to the same degree as the toasters. For a point of reference, the old-style early album REM sound is Peter Buck playing a 360 with high gains.
rkhiii

Post by rkhiii »

Jonathan, thanks much...never realized the Ric "hi gains" were single coil. The name of the pickup always threw me...I suppose in a relative sense they're high gain in that they're higher gain than toasters but nothing like a traditional humbucker?? I was in college in Athens in the early/mid 80's...if the hi gain pickup can do the REM thing, that's probably the ticket. BTW, forgot about a 330 I traded years ago...it had hi gains. You know you've had too many guitars when you start forgetting what you've owned. That narrows it down to a used Jetglo 360 and a NOS Fireglo 330. The 360 is actually less expensive but isn't in the condition of the others. Or there's another dealer that has a used 620...never played one but don't get the impression the 620 would ooze that jangle vibe like the semi-hollows.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rkhiii wrote:That narrows it down to a used Jetglo 360 and a NOS Fireglo 330.
Nothing like a nice FG 330! 8)
rkhiii

Post by rkhiii »

Jeffrey, STUNNING!!! A lot of fireglo's have that undercooked pink center...that one just rocks! Thanks for sharing.
Postscript: Just noticed the year model...those 45 year old guitars just have a "fully cooked" vibe all their own.
scotty

Post by scotty »

alternatively find yourself a new FG slap on some Gold plastic find yourself some 12K toasters and im sure youll like it. :wink:
rkhiii

Post by rkhiii »

Wow! Y'all have some nice stuff.
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

Roy - it sounds like you have several fine alternatives. However, I'm a bit confused, since in your original post you say you once owned a 620, while in your later post you say you've never played one.

Assuming the latter is correct, I'd recommend that you at least check out the 620 if you can do so conveniently. Although I'd wanted a semi-hollow Rick for years, a few months ago I got a 620-6 instead and have had no regrets. While it may not have quite the same jangle vibe as the semi-hollows, it can jangle very nicely in its own right plus do lots of other stuff, too, and is a joy to play (at least if you like Rickenbacker necks, which I recognize aren't everyone's thing). Indeed I like it so much I just got a 620-12, which I'll be picking up in two weeks when I'm down in the Philly area.

While I'm not trying to steer you away from the 330 or 360, if you haven't played a 620 before you might be pleasantly surprised. (On the other hand, if your original post was correct and you once owned a 620 and didn't like it, then carry on.)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

360girl wrote:It depends upon what you want to play musically I guess. If you want more jangle, or a more vintage sound, the toasters might be the way to go. If you want a little more aggressive sound, the Hi-Gains (or a retrofit of the Ric mini-humbuckers), is probably a better choice. Me? I prefer the Hi-Gains my 360 has. But that's because I like heavier sounding, harder driving music.
From participating in numerous Rick events and having had the opportunity of listening to a lot of various Rick models live, the vintage p/ups sound brighter and thinner live, especially at volume. I think 12K-14K is the way to go for either clean or dirty sounds, at least with a six string. Of course, everyone has one's own preference, but I think all of the confluence experience has been very educational, as well as enjoyable.
rkhiii

Post by rkhiii »

Jonathan, I goofed in my original post...it was a 650 amber firglo I owned (maple board model). Bought it because of the chunkier neck width and only owned it for a few weeks. It was kinda cool but I wasn't knocked out over it. Again, the neck was just rubbery...if ya put any arm pressure on the guitar at all it would knock it sharp (though I suppose if you dig tremoloing the guitar using only the slightest pressure of your resting right forearm, it might save you cost of a vibrato). Is that indicative of neck-thru guitars?

Glad to hear you say 620's have a jangle of their own. Saw a video of REM in the studio recording their latest record and Buck was using a 620 I believe. Would love to compare one to a 360 but believe it or not, there aren't any particularly good Ric dealers in Atlanta. Thanks for catching my model mixup in my original post and for your 620 thoughts. I'll find one somewhe to play.
360girl

Post by 360girl »

620s are nice sounding guitars IMO. If didn't like the smaller bodies the 620s have (I play a guitar up high like jazz players do), I would have seriously considered getting one myself. Yep, the Hi-Gains are overwound single coils (the DC resistance for the coils is about 11.5 kohm - I checked them out with my DMM), and are in may ways, hotter than a P90 or a vintage spec. PAF humbucker. They sure do look purty in mapleglo guitars! :mrgreen:

My 360
clementc3

Post by clementc3 »

If you would like to hear the pickups, click on the link for a youtube clip with a comparison of four Ricks: 360/12 with Toasters; 360/6 with Toasters; 620/6 with Hi Gains; 650 D with Humbuckers:

http://youtu.be/vtDvAPO-3ws

And here is a comparison of toasters & high-gains on two 360/12s:

http://youtu.be/x5xL1HCj77o

Thanks to our great moderator I now know how to embed youtube videos in my posts!
sleepingtiger

Post by sleepingtiger »

Toasters on a 12 string, for sure though. Nothin' sounds like that!

Tony

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”