Splender In The Grass

Those who flock to The Byrds
octagon

Splender In The Grass

Post by octagon »

Classic song by the great Jackie DeShannon backed by the Byrds on the original recording

Also covered here by Boys(who are girls) in a rare video performance of their 45 on Karma Sutra records.

kursk

Re: Splender In The Grass

Post by kursk »

I love the Boys version!

Cute bob on the brunette as well!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Interesting studio version, too. I had no idea such a thing existed.
JimK
octagon

Post by octagon »

Yes,Jackie wrote this song in 1966 after watching the movie "Splendor in the Grass". She released three singles with two different versions of this song.

Jackie still breaking it up!

Here is another great song by Jackie this time sung by
Piccola Pupa

She starred in "The Girl In The Invisible Bikini" !

mcd220

Post by mcd220 »

Anybody recall the ep of "My Three Sons" where Jackie is Robbie's (Don Grady) love interest??

Christian
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

octagon wrote: Here is another great song by Jackie this time sung by
Piccola Pupa

She starred in "The Girl In The Invisible Bikini" !

That lovely blonde in the movie (the one with the pink headband) is Mary Hughes, who I was passionately in love with when I was 12 - 13. Unfortunately for me, she was probably 20 - 22 and ended up with Jeff Beck. She was in a lot of the beach movies and even appears in the audience in "The T.A.M.I. Show". She was always the one I figured that the Beach Boys were singing about; the perfect example of a 'California Girl'. Thanks for including that particular clip. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

jimk wrote:Interesting studio version, too. I had no idea such a thing existed.
JimK
Boy HOWDY....me too.....what a great song!.....I had to weigh in on this because the movie Jackie spoke about, "Splendor in the Grass", added fuel to my Natalie Wood fire---I've had a crush on her since "West Side Story".....ay ay ay//what a beauty :oops:

All the elements of that movie, first love....first EVERYTHING.....it's all in that song.....very cool. It sounds like McGuinn or Gene Clark doing the low harmony, I admit, and there is a subdued jangle in there, but I really wonder if that was the Byrds backing her up.... :roll:

What's up with The Boys???? was that really the name of that girl group??? Where did they come from?.....the only women I've ever seen that can't seem to dance.....vocals are great, and the brunette is a knockout.....but.....holy schnikes.....that was odd....good arrangement for the tune, though

Thanks for posting those videos!
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
feedback

Post by feedback »

And there's the boys hangin' out on the set of thge vid. 'You've got your troubles'....

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”