My First Bass Amp

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

My First Bass Amp

Post by johnallg »

All those years ago - I was in the 9th grade. Schlepped it around in the trunk of a 56 Chevy.

http://www.silvertoneworld.com/amplifie ... /1466.html
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: My First Bass Amp

Post by jps »

Cool thread idea! :D

My first bass amp was one of these:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Vox T-60 :D
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

All I wanna do is rock!
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

My first was a Fender Bassman 50 with twin 12 cabinet. I still have the cabinet the head went when I needed volume(Metal band) saw I bought my current Marshall Major.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

johnallg wrote:All those years ago - I was in the 9th grade. Schlepped it around in the trunk of a 56 Chevy.

http://www.silvertoneworld.com/amplifie ... /1466.html
I had one of these but not my first amp. This shows it as 6 X 10". I thought it had a single 15" unless it was made two ways. Couldn't be my memory. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The best things in life aren't things."
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

kiramdear wrote:This one, except mine was white. 8)

http://i.acdn.us/image/A8220/822064/300_822064.jpg
My local guitar store has a vintage one of these in very good condtion. It came in with an EB2 that is yet to be displayed. A couple of closet classics.
"The best things in life aren't things."
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

My first was a Baldwin with a 15 and a 12 in it, which had just come out in 1965. The previous year and a half had been spent resting the head of my Hagstrom bass against the hollow-core door of my bedroom so that I could hear what I was playing (I'm not kidding, that's how I learned to play bass - kind of a poor man's headphone amp). The Baldwin had problems mulriple times and after about three months, they refunded my money. Then I bought one of those Silvertones that John posted with the six tens in it. It lasted a few months and then I blew out all the speakers, playing a backyard party. We were bad, but we were loud! I wasn't old enough to drive and my folks were busy the following Saturday, so I got on the bus with it (the driver was thrilled) and went downtown. I dragged it up to the return desk at Sears, told the lady that it had blown all of its speakers and she handed me my $225 or whatever it was back. Next it was the Kustom stack with the twin JBL 15s. Great amp. This was before they started porting the cabinets with those round silver ports. When you played a loud note the silver domes on the JBLs would jump like crazy, so it was the only amp I've ever owned that was both nice to listen to and also fun to watch.

When I moved to a somewhat more mellow, folky genre, I switched to an old B-15N, I bought it from a music store in a converted old house that was surrounded by road construction that summer, so you couldn't get near it to park. I had to roll the damned thing about two blocks over dirt and gravel on those little dolly wheels to get to my car. It was another very nice amp and I used it until the halls got too big for its limited power and finally switched to an Acoustic head/Sunn 18" folded horn cab system.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Ampeg B100R. Love the blue diamond vinyl!

woodyng

Post by woodyng »

ampeg b15 portaflex cabinet powered by a Sunn solaris tube head.
Len

Post by Len »

Not really a bass amp, but I used it as one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10495186@N03/3773293086/

That's not mine, but a Sound City 120 with a Marshall cab that I found on flickr. Plenty of tubes, it sounded great but was too heavy for me to carry for long.

Someone had that Silvertone amp listed on Atlanta craigslist recently. I was tempted to go look at it because it looks cool and the price was right. I'm just low on space for another amp right now.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but it looks pretty close.
$(KGrHqJ,!i!E1Kst+fC7BNbbP2hJ4w~~_1[1].jpg
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

My first bass amp was an Aussie built Goldentone Bassmaster head:
gtonelge_1.jpg
Ahh...... the 60s! :D

A spine-bending all-valve 60 watts RMS!! EL34s if I remember correctly.

I bought it from a used car dealer (God's truth!) who had traded it in on a car. Built my own cabinet and popped a couple of Rola 15UEGs in it.

It was a spanker!!!

:mrgreen:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cool amp, Aitch. 8) Sort of an Aussie version of Traynor.

I see there was no input for lead guitar! :mrgreen: :lol:
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Technically, my first bass amp was a Sam Ash combo with a 15 inch speaker but....the first amp I sweated and saved for was a Sunn Concert Bass with a 2x15 cab. 1979 was the year I bought it and I selected that particular amp because I thought it would be perfect with my 4001. It was for many years. saw many miles and smoked filled rooms. Performed error free(wish I did that :lol: ).

Looked pretty much like this pic

Later on I sold the cabinet, and got a Sunn SPL with 10" and 18" speakers, plus a Fender Bassman head. Used to run the Ric stereo with distortion thru the bassman into the 10" speaker. I dug it. My neighbors didn't
Attachments
Sunn Concert Bass Amp II.jpg

Return to “The Low End”