GOLD TRUSS-ROD COVER FOR EARLY CAPRI SERIES

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

BIGROB69

GOLD TRUSS-ROD COVER FOR EARLY CAPRI SERIES

Post by BIGROB69 »

Hi All,

This is probably not a new topic for most of you but I still need some help here:

I am currently having a 1960 Rickenback 375 Capri restored but I'm still having NO luck at all finding a gold truss-rod cover that would fit this particular model. I never had the original as I got the guitar as a "body only" deal many years ago and finally got the time and resources to kick-start this project. How about someone out there who could make me a really good knock-off?

One other thing that may be an issue would be the gold pickguard assemby...but I figure worse comes to worse I could have one cut for me....or even repaint a white one which I could easily get.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: GOLD TRUSS-ROD COVER FOR EARLY CAPRI SERIES

Post by jingle_jangle »

The guards are no problem. You cannot, however, "paint a white set" of guards--these are cut from clear acrylic and back-painted. They are available from a number of sources; Tony at Pickguardian can make you a pair reasonably.

A real early TRC is tough to find. They do come up occasionally; I saw a nasty one on eBay last year for about half a grand.

Knock-offs are illegal (it's trade-dress protected, both the shape and the script lettering), and frowned upon here.

You can buy a white TRC on Ebay for $200-250.00 and swap it for a new gold one from a 660/6, with the factory. There is a fee to do this. The color of the new TRC and the old are quite different; the new is a pearlescent urethane paint and the old was Illinois Bronze powder dissolved in nitrocellulose, and would eventually tarnish to a greenish hue.

These are the only ways I know of to legally obtain a gold TRC. It will require redrilling the headstock hole at the tip and may have to have the shape modded, too.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jingle_jangle wrote:The guards are no problem. You cannot, however, "paint a white set" of guards--these are cut from clear acrylic and back-painted. They are available from a number of sources; Tony at Pickguardian can make you a pair reasonably.

A real early TRC is tough to find. They do come up occasionally; I saw a nasty one on eBay last year for about half a grand.

Knock-offs are illegal (it's trade-dress protected, both the shape and the script lettering), and frowned upon here.

You can buy a white TRC on Ebay for $200-250.00 and swap it for a new gold one from a 660/6, with the factory. There is a fee to do this. The color of the new TRC and the old are quite different; the new is a pearlescent urethane paint and the old was Illinois Bronze powder dissolved in nitrocellulose, and would eventually tarnish to a greenish hue.

These are the only ways I know of to legally obtain a gold TRC. It will require redrilling the headstock hole at the tip and may have to have the shape modded, too.
You took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:
BIGROB69

Post by BIGROB69 »

Thank you for the input. My tech who is currently restoring this guitar for me is in contact with the pickguardian now...so that will eliviate one problem. BUT it still leaves me without a gold truss-rod cover (name plate).

I did see someone on ebay that had one listed for $200 that didn't sell. I contacted him who said he sill has it available. I took a little time and looked thorugh his past sales and saw that he has sold a few on them in the past year...so now I'm thinking that they could either be fakes...or something that "fell off a trucK" some years ago while the re-issues were in full swing. It does look really clean and new so I sterted to have my suspisions about this item.

Either way what would your opinions be on this? Assuming its a fake then the $200 would be an absolutely rediculous number...

HOWEVER...I have a beautiful one of a kind late 50s Capri that needs this final piece for completetion...any feedback from anyone on this?? Heck of a delima huh??
badeggs
Intermediate Member

Post by badeggs »

BIGROB69 wrote:Assuming its a fake then...
...pretty much everyone here will discourage you from buying it. See, people put real covers on fake guitars to pass them off as the real thing. Every fake cover means a real one is floating around out there, possibly being used to trick someone into buying some plywood piece of garbage...

And of course the fakes themselves, as Paul pointed out, are technically illegal as it's a trademarked design. So in short, fakes are bad!

People occasionally part out one of these beauties (something else we hate around here!), or find a badly-damaged one and salvage the good parts off of it. One of these will come along, just keep checking here and eBay and everywhere else you can...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

badeggs wrote:
BIGROB69 wrote:Assuming its a fake then...
...pretty much everyone here will discourage you from buying it. See, people put real covers on fake guitars to pass them off as the real thing. Every fake cover means a real one is floating around out there, possibly being used to trick someone into buying some plywood piece of garbage...

And of course the fakes themselves, as Paul pointed out, are technically illegal as it's a trademarked design. So in short, fakes are bad!

People occasionally part out one of these beauties (something else we hate around here!), or find a badly-damaged one and salvage the good parts off of it. One of these will come along, just keep checking here and eBay and everywhere else you can...
I agree we hate fakes and partouts, especially gibsondependable! :twisted: :twisted:
badeggs
Intermediate Member

Post by badeggs »

IvanMunoz wrote:I agree we hate fakes and partouts, especially gibsondependable!
As aggravating as part-outs are, they can fill that impossible gap...this situation is a prime example. But if salvage is akin to organ donation, I'm not sure what parting out would be considered...I wouldn't call it noble, but that's just me!

And yes, gibsonparts"dependable" are to be avoided at all costs...
BIGROB69

Post by BIGROB69 »

Thanks for the input...I have a white one whuch I will use for now...I'm sure something reasonable (and legit) will sping up somewhere...

Just for the record....good ol' gibsondepandable now has one listed for $275...unreal!!

If you guys could please ask around for me I would greatly appreciate it...this is one of the rare times I'm at a loss for a plan b...
2ricks

Post by 2ricks »

This might (and probably will be) a stretch but I've heard of stories like this. If you call the factory you might be able to get them to replace the TRC if you can verify that your story is true. They might need a serial number or something. It might work, it might not. I just thought I'd throw it out there although Paul W's story is probably THE story.
Adam
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

What you're gonna find in any case is that late '50s Capri and recent gold nameplates have a completely different footprint and color. It's a good idea to wait for a genuine early one to turn up on Ebay. They're pricey, but just consider that it's the finishing touch to a rare, valuable guitar...

Want some more perspective? A nice used early Capri nameplate will set you back about the same as a PAF pickup ring or genuine '59 LP toggle switch tip...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jingle_jangle wrote:What you're gonna find in any case is that late '50s Capri and recent gold nameplates have a completely different footprint and color. It's a good idea to wait for a genuine early one to turn up on Ebay. They're pricey, but just consider that it's the finishing touch to a rare, valuable guitar...

Want some more perspective? A nice used early Capri nameplate will set you back about the same as a PAF pickup ring or genuine '59 LP toggle switch tip...
Just a toggle switch! Thats crazy :shock: :shock: :shock:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Not the whole switch, just the little plastic tip...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

....yeah, reality can be pretty nuts.....
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

cjj wrote:Not the whole switch, just the little plastic tip...
Oh, you're kidding me! Thats crazy :shock: :shock:
collin

Post by collin »

cjj wrote:Not the whole switch, just the little plastic tip...

Its not quite a true statement though. I have sold one of each of those items. A genuine gold 50's TRC is over $450, a gold Bakelite 50's LP switch tip is around $240 (that's what mine got), and PAF rings vary wildly.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”