Transition – Bumpy Ride – We Can Fly (reprise)…

The genius of Chris Squire
ram

Transition – Bumpy Ride – We Can Fly (reprise)…

Post by ram »

OK is it just me or is this just too firkin cool?!?!? It blows me away every time I listen to it…. man....
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Billsbro

Re: Transition – Bumpy Ride – We Can Fly (reprise)…

Post by Billsbro »

Without a doubt the reprise is wonderful.
The "Bumpy Ride" is the quirky, punchy, wacky transition, right? I like how it develops and especially, how it drops you into the reprise but the way bumpy ride STARTS always makes me think it might have been handled better. I am not sure HOW but it seems a bit disjointed to me. It is just that brief moment when I feel a bit off balance. But I very much like the suite...excellent material!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

It does seem to start oddly, with the flange effect just sort of coming in from nowhere. But, the sonic blast that brings it back into the reprise is perfect. This is lost if you're using an mp3 player that pauses between tracks. It needs to be heard seamlessly for full effect.

I'm hoping this CD gets a full tour support in the near future. I've certainly dropped enough hints on Chris but he never checks with me before scheduling a tour! :twisted: :lol:
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

just_bassics wrote:It does seem to start oddly, with the flange effect just sort of coming in from nowhere. But, the sonic blast that brings it back into the reprise is perfect. This is lost if you're using an mp3 player that pauses between tracks. It needs to be heard seamlessly for full effect.

I'm hoping this CD gets a full tour support in the near future. I've certainly dropped enough hints on Chris but he never checks with me before scheduling a tour! :twisted: :lol:
I too would like to hear it live. I watched MiguelBass' playing on his video of the overture and had even more appreciation for the bass lines throughout the suite. It would be wonderful to see Mr. Squire rattle the foundations with those lines.

General note: it doesn't bother me that the transition (and perhaps one other transition before that) starts a bit odd because it clearly evolves into a development that truly "belongs." And YES is not the first person or group to do something like that. Beethoven often has similar transitions that initially sound out-of-place but then resolve in the most amazing ways. After one understands them, one realizes the piece would never be as strong and perfect without those elements. (I am thinking of "Benediction: La Dans de la Solitude" in particular)
ram

Post by ram »

The start seems to me like a fade in on a movie or waking you during the ‘bumpy ride’ things come into focus – you become more aware of all that is going on… “disjointed but with purpose”… then the last crescendo (after being branded with the fun Disney like South American theme) that drops into the reprise - brilliant and dramatic.

And yes YES I'd love to see this live - ALL of it!!!!

An oversight by Chris not consulting you before Jim :wink:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I listened to the album twice on the drive home and I still say Into The Storm and TMYAWMTB are the best, in that order.

I need to splice all of the medley together with no spaces in it. It would flow a lot better. Now mind you, I ain't dissing it. I really like this album. :wink:
ram

Post by ram »

John I can't say I disagree with you but more I listen to it the harder it becomes to pick a fave... I hear The Storm and go yeah that's it... then Life on a film set.... and yeah, yeah that's it!.... It just keeps going on and on... from start to finish. I'm just really blasted by the connection of the Bumpy Ride to the Reprise - I'm not sure why, it just strikes a chord with me for some reason!
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

I like it all from start to finish. From the suite, Track 3, Sad Night at the Airfield seems to have a hidden power that would be fantastic live, much as And You And I has, during the "orchestrated" steel guitar sections. This stuff is begging for a live forum. I'm still listening to it and it still keeps getting better. Hope the UK fans get a heavy dose on the upcoming tour.
ram

Post by ram »

Totally agree Jim...
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

just_bassics wrote:I like it all from start to finish. From the suite, Track 3, Sad Night at the Airfield seems to have a hidden power that would be fantastic live, much as And You And I has, during the "orchestrated" steel guitar sections. This stuff is begging for a live forum. I'm still listening to it and it still keeps getting better. Hope the UK fans get a heavy dose on the upcoming tour.
Yes, very well spoke, Puck!
It has A T M O S P H E R E. Yes has always had a knack for not only wonderful music but also for those amazing, atmospheric transitions or sections that transport the listener to other places. Close to the Edge, Awaken, etc. are examples. I find the new album has that same magic that makes it more than a collection of tunes. It is an experience.

"I give it a 90, Dick; I can dance to it."
s4001

Post by s4001 »

What's even more awesome is that it's #36 in the American charts. Do they even have a record company behind them?
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

LoL,

This is the ONLY SONG on the CD that drove Janey NUTS! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We had the CD on in the car and all was going well....until Bumpy Ride came on. I got "the look" and she said "it makes me hyper". :? :lol: :lol:

I hate the new car, it has CD control from the steering wheel. I looked out the window and before I knew it, Alan Jackson was back on. :?

I had to compromise and skip the track. I put it back on when she fell asleep on the way home. :twisted:
ram

Post by ram »

Tony, it was just a little of "as we accelerate our days to the look in your eyes."....? So she didn't lie the Reprise....?

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”