What do you guys think about this bass?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

ajish4
RRF Moderator

What do you guys think about this bass?

Post by ajish4 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150675266091?ss ... 1423.l2649

Not that I'm in a position to do so, but I've been hearing about MM basses for such a long time.

You guys have any experience with them?

What are the necks like? Tone? Etc...etc....
Attachments
IM009158.JPG
IM009162.JPG
IM009164.JPG
IM009159.JPG
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: What do you guys think about this bass?

Post by jps »

Every MM bass I have played had a pretty fat neck, but of course, that is a personal thing, so it may not sway you.
jaymi
Advanced Member

Post by jaymi »

they are somewhat round...very different from a Rick neck. most of these feel like a round jazz..
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, first off, it's not a Rick, and, it's not fretless... so why is it in this section???
:roll: :lol: :lol:

I've never played one of them, so all I can say is that the seeing these with the roundish pickguard in the middle always reminds me of this:
MOTSbass.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

cjj wrote:Well, first off, it's not a Rick, and, it's not fretless... so why is it in this section???
:roll: :lol: :lol:

I've never played one of them, so all I can say is that the seeing these with the roundish pickguard in the middle always reminds me of this:
MOTSbass.jpg
Hahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: My brother has always referred to the "Music Man Toilet Seat Bass", but there is one two pickup model that he does like.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cjj wrote:Well, first off, it's not a Rick, and, it's not fretless... so why is it in this section???
Um, well, er, you got one of those descriptors right, anyway. :roll: :lol: :lol: It be best if you look again, CLOSELY, to the photos. :wink:

I third the motion to the toilet reference. :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What was he thinking on of when he came up with that pickguard design? :mrgreen: :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:
Um, well, er, you got one of those descriptors right, anyway. :roll: :lol: :lol: It be best if you look again, CLOSELY, to the photos. :wink:

I third the motion to the toilet reference. :mrgreen:
Well, it is a bit hard to tell if those "frets" are up above the board, or level with it and just fret lines. They are pretty dang narrow, now that you mention it...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Try one of these, CJ. :mrgreen:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Ya know what, I am gettin' to the age where I do keep one of those handy...
:roll: :( :lol:
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, I have played a MM Sabre 4 string fretted bass as my primary bass since 1978 or so. Prior to buying that bass, I had owned 2 Gibson 60's EBO's, 2 60's/70's Fender P's, a 70's Fender J, and a '73 4001. Bought and sold all of them, except the Rick, which I still have but never play. I really like the Sabre and will never sell it. All basses I've owned have been fretted, so I guess this post doesn't technically belong here.

I recently played an Ernie Ball MM bass at GC and didn't like it at all. I would buy a new J bass before I'd get a new EB MM.
My advice would be to go try a few of them out in person, if you're looking for a new bass. If you're OK with used, I would recommend getting a pre-EB bass. I think you'll like the older ones better.

The Stingray was Leo's updated P bass and had the circular pick guard. The Sabre was the updated J bass and has a more traditional looking pick guard. All Stingrays originally came with a single pickup and were an early favorite of the pop and slap funk guys. The Sabre didn't sell well back then and was discontinued, but they are getting some interest now. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

cjj wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
A toilet?
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I moved the thread for you Tony. :mrgreen:

My 2 cents..............it's not a Rick. :wink:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

My Stingray is my go-to and has been for two years. I keep it strung up with half-rounds. I can get the action ridiculously low, far lower then any of my other basses. It is absolutely effortless to play. I find the nut width and string spacing to be ideal.

They seemed to get knocked for their tone a lot. I think many inexperienced players tend to just put every knob on 10 and wonder why it sounds like ****. :lol: They are definitely "up-front" tonally, but the half-rounds have definitely tamed mine. It thumps like no other.

My favorite fretless player, Pino Palladino, played a MM fretless. Check out this vid for a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKHf_x1OQE

Notice in this video, he's got a bit more of the treble in the signal. This is more of the tone that is typically associated with MM basses. They can really run the gamut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCd2h6KPgL8

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

beatbyrd wrote:
cjj wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
A toilet?
Ummm, well...

Return to “The Low End”