Wilco + Rics = The Whole Love

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Low End Lover

Wilco + Rics = The Whole Love

Post by Low End Lover »

Hello All,

I just got a chance to see Wilco in Kansas City this past weekend and they were outstanding! I grew up seeing Uncle Tupelo and had missed every chance to see Wilco I had and things finally worked out. If you get a chance to catch them on this tour, do so! The new record is great and I think the current lineup in the band is the best they have ever had.
Ok, now the Ric content. Jeff seemed to switch guitars every song and 2 Rics showed up. He has already been spotted playing a 1966 365 in Fireglo, but when they did "Kamera" off Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, he played what at first looked like a 360WB Fireglo, but as the light caught the carved top, it was revealed to be a stunning 381 in Fireglo. I tried despartely to take a picture to post here, but there was a bouncer eyeballing me hard, so all I have are my memories to share! :(
Again, it was an amazing show and worth the 15+ year wait to see them!

LEL
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Wilco + Rics = The Whole Love

Post by sloop_john_b »

A favorite band of mine; I'm wondering what the hell took them so long to pick up some Ricks!

BTW, there is a GORGEOUS 1993 MG reissue owned by a forum member with "Wilco" stenciled on the case. I spoke to Jay Bennett about this guitar shortly before he passed away and he told me it didn't belong to him or Jeff. Who knows!
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

For those who haven't seen it, definitely check out the video below, which is a very high quality time-lapse of an entire Wilco show at the Ryman over the course of a song off the new album. There is a Ric or two that shows up. Also, you can hear and see a 660/12 in the second link, which is a video of the Autumn Defense, which is a great Wilco side-project.

http://vimeo.com/31124696

Rickissippi

Post by Rickissippi »

Like, like, like, and like.

I only caught Uncle Tupelo once, and it was post-Anodyne, after Jay F. stopped using Ricks regularly. I still love the pic inside the gatefold of No Depression, where he's clearly seen playing a Rick. Glad to know Wilco's bringing them back in, and thanks for the tip on The Autumn Defense.
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

In the current issue of Guitar World, Jeff mentions that he used a 330 on the newest album for some overdubs. There's also some current pics of them in another 'zine with a 360 & in their rehearsal room with a '70s 4001. If I get motivated, I'll scan the pics. I have tickets to see them next week so I'll try to get some photos.
harveyrickenbacker

Post by harveyrickenbacker »

[quote="brianeharmonjr"]For those who haven't seen it, definitely check out the video below, which is a very high quality time-lapse of an entire Wilco show at the Ryman over the course of a song off the new album. There is a Ric or two that shows up. Also, you can hear and see a 660/12 in the second link, which is a video of the Autumn Defense, which is a great Wilco side-project.

Thanks for the tip re Autumn Defense Brian. Really like that track and just been on iTunes to download a few others by the band.
1958 M-8 Amp, 1960 360 Capri FG, 1966 335FG, 1967 360JG, 1973 360MG, 1999 360-12JG, 2002 660-12FG, 2003 360MB
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

DOn't forget that Dewitt Burton, Peter Buck's long time guitar tech now works with Wilco. There just *might* be an influence there.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

johnhall wrote:DOn't forget that Dewitt Burton, Peter Buck's long time guitar tech now works with Wilco. There just *might* be an influence there.
Ah, nice bit of info there!

John, do you recall anything about the really figured Mapleglo 1993/12 that was apparently ordered by someone in Wilco? Had to have been a special order at the time (I'm thinking 90's).
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Downloaded the CD last weekend, not bad. Can't hear any blatant Rickism.
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

Here are some shots w/various Rics.

In this one, Nels Cline is playing a 360/12RM.
Wilco1.jpg
This photo by Zoran Orlic shows them in their loft/studio. If you look amongst the instruments to the left, you'll see the back of a '70s 4001.
Wilco2.jpg
I took this fuzzy cell phone photo at their gig this past Sunday at Lincoln Hall in Chicago. Jeff Tweedy is playing a 365 w/arm missing.
wilco3.jpg
janglerocker

Post by janglerocker »

chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

janglerocker wrote:
Great clip. Jeff Tweedy: rock star by night, unshaven hobo by day. Seriously, clean yourself up a little, Jeff.
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

They're on Conan tonight. '66 365 with Van Ghents is front and center again. Nice sound through an AC30...
If it is to be, it is up to me.
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

I caught that conan show, in fact I think I saved it. Took note of the fire glow Ric Tweedy was playing. It sounded great, as did the song.
Sweden

Post by Sweden »

johnhall wrote:DOn't forget that Dewitt Burton, Peter Buck's long time guitar tech now works with Wilco. There just *might* be an influence there.
Cool, didn't know that!
--------------------------------------------------------------
2002 360/6 JG - 1989 370/12 MG

(plus some other 20 guitars and basses...)

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”