Moderators: ajish4, cjj

crawlspacestefan

Vintage Fender P-Bass

Post by crawlspacestefan »

Hey, guys!

Question for anyone who may know.

Does this:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z342595878

Look legit? I don't know a whole lot about vintage Fenders to really be able to tell if this is the real deal or not, you know? I'm wondering how original, etc. it is. Thoughts?

Thanks!
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Vintage Fender P-Bass

Post by winston »

Based on the serial number that bass was built in 1976. It looks legit but, I would need to see better photo's and in particular a hi-resolution close up of the headstock, the body control cavity, the body end of the neck (neck removed) and the neck plate to be sure that it's not a parts bass.

An original invoice would really do the trick too but I highly doubt that would still exist.

Take a look at the 76 on this site. That will give you a fairly good comparison. http://www.rumbleseatmusicsouthwest.com ... 0page.html
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Stefan........ I moved your thread here in Forum 51 where it belongs.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
crawlspacestefan

Brian,

Thanks for the reply and for moving the initial post. I wasn't totally sure about where to post it, and as it turns out I chose incorrectly!

I'll see if the seller can provide me with some better photographs, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Worst case scenario - the bass is, as you put it, a parts bass - what would you figure the value of such a thing would be? I'm really interested in this particular bass because I think I can get it for a really good price. But, like anyone else, I don't want to get burned, you know?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Stefan in a perfect world the bass is being offered at a reasonable price IMHO.............but given the soft nature of today's market I would suggest that you negotiate a price that you believe is fair and reasonable.

It looks like it's a great bass. Even if it has some issues there are some good luthiers and techies in Western Canada who can fix the bass at a reasonable price.

I have a much loved 1971 Fender Stratocaster that has all sorts or replaced parts on it. Only the body the neck and the pups and wiring are original. The body however has been refinished. Fender instruments from this era are starting to gain in popularity and as a consequence their value is starting to increase.

Good luck with this one. Let me know how you make out.

crawlspacestefan

Bummer! I replied to the ad less than twelve hours after it was posted, but the seller just got back to me to inform me that it had been sold.

I think the price was pretty great, so I guess it's not much of a surprise!

Oh well.

Cheers!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Those damned Canadian Pickers (Scott Cozens and Sheldon Smithens) probably got it......... :lol: Too bad you missed out. If you spot another Fender you like let me know and we can try to look at it a bit faster.

crawlspacestefan

Hah! I don't doubt it. The older, western (i.e., cowboy-ish) looking guy is from around here, too!

Thanks for the help, and the offer for more! I appreciate it.
crawlspacestefan

Brian,

What do you think of this:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z346389754

The seller claims it's a 1958 body and neck. He says that the pickguard and "hardware" are original (I've asked for clarification about hardware - does this include volume and tone pots, etc.). I'm not crazy about the refinish, but I a '58 at so low a price (I could probably get it for less?)?!

Cheers,

-s.
crawlspacestefan

UPDATE:

No photos of the date stamp on the neck are available.

Apparently the tuners, pots, and pickguard are original. The pick guard's originality (as it is the gold anodized guard) does support the '58 dating. He also has the pick up and bridge covers, but I guess they are "very damaged."

It comes with a new, non-original case.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

You have to be very careful when buying vintage Fender's from this period from an originality standpoint. Every part on that '58 could be unoriginal. I'd get over to the Fender forum and catch up on some reading. It's all there, just like this place is for Rickenbacker.

Return to “The Low End”