Do guitars get jealous?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tooloose

Do guitars get jealous?

Post by tooloose »

When I got my 330/12 MG a year ago and became so enthralled with it that I played it day and night it seemed like my my other guitars were sulking. Maybe it was my imagination but I felt that the strings got out of tune for no reason, there was slower action on the neck, the intonation got a little flat. If I didn't know better I would think the others got jealous of my attention to the 330/12. Once I got over the initial elation with the 330/12 and started to play the other guitars more often things reverted somewhat back to "normal". Then I got a new 4003 JG this past December, couldn't put it down, and the same thing happened again to my other guitars - including the 330/12. Remembering how the others must have felt when I picked up the 330/12 I felt bad and tried harder to spread my playing amongst all the guitars. But then I picked up the 650D three weeks after I got the 4003 and couldn't put it down. Two new guitars, both RICs, in less than a month. You guessed it, same thing seems to be happening again.

Do you think guitars get jealous of other guitars? Am I being too insensitive to the others when I become obsessed with one of them for some period of time? Do you think the others feel neglected? I still watch the temperature and humidity for all of them, keep them polished and in their cases, and lovingly tune them each time I play them.

Do guitars get jealous? What can I do? :?
Ernie
08 MG 330/12
11 JG 4003
Epiphone Dot (cherry)
Fender Squire Precision bass black
Hofner Anno acoustic
Martin DCPA3
scotty

Re: Do guitars get jealous?

Post by scotty »

Are you on mushrooms?
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Perfectly legitimate question.

About a year after I got my 330, I opened up the cases of my other guitars, apologized to them for the lack of recent attention. "It's not you, it's me. You're still lovely, but I've found another. We can still be friends."

I played each of them for a few minutes.

Then I closed the cases and put them back in the closet.

I guess I'm just a one guitar kind of guy, not a wh**e like our scottish friend.
:D
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
scotty

Post by scotty »

LOL you guys! ive missed my stop is this stop anywhere near the asylum?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

scotty wrote:LOL you guys! ive missed my stop is this stop anywhere near the asylum?
Ya slept right past Clank n' Jangle. Better start walkin'.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

You are all high from taking the pot. :roll:
scotty

Post by scotty »

sloop_john_b wrote:
scotty wrote:LOL you guys! ive missed my stop is this stop anywhere near the asylum?
Ya slept right past Clank n' Jangle. Better start walkin'.
:lol:
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

My first post and hi to everyone. Guitars don't get jealous. The fact is that one guitar gets out of tune in time and depending of what string gauge you use. :mrgreen:
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

I think it's between your ears.
As you are high of your new guitar, you will subjectivley compare your new love with your 'new friend'.
The way you tolerate any small defect from the new one, you will enlarge the defects of the old one.
And now back on topic.
Guitars hate you for this.
Whenever you turn your back they will badmouth the newcomer.
The previous newcomer is slowly accepted into the group, but really has to work his way up to gain respect.
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

The more accurate question should be....' Do wives/girlfriends get jealous of other guitars?' :wink:...Only last night my wife told me that she was getting fed up of seeing me with 'that' guitar :x ......I told her to apologise immediately as my guitar is very sensitive and doesn't like being referred to as 'that' guitar :evil:
I had to spend the next hour soothing her hurt feelings......The guitars that is :P :P ( The wife went off to bed sulking I think )
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

This thread is strange.........you lot are strange for even responding. Wait what am I saying. :shock: :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

david/wales/u.k wrote:The more accurate question should be....' Do wives/girlfriends get jealous of other guitars?' :wink:...Only last night my wife told me that she was getting fed up of seeing me with 'that' guitar :x ......I told her to apologise immediately as my guitar is very sensitive and doesn't like being referred to as 'that' guitar :evil:
I had to spend the next hour soothing her hurt feelings......The guitars that is :P :P ( The wife went off to bed sulking I think )

One day she will ask you to kick her out.
What will you do when that day comes?
Be prepared!
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

One day she will ask you to kick her out.
What will you do when that day comes?
Be prepared!

Wim Vanderstraeten (wim)
Intermediate Member

Ask me to kick her out or the guitar!! :o ..........Nah, I'm thinking of her getting her a younger brother...She's getting lonely and I don't think you can have a 330 without a 360 :wink: ).....( give the trouble and strife, sorry wife, something else to complain about :wink:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

They probably weren't played and tuned up every time. Over time slight changes happened climate wise probalby causeing them to go out of wack. You don't really notice the change when you play a guitar everyday. Its sortof like when you haven't see someone in a while, you say : "Wow your hair got longer" and they say "Really I haven't noticed" :mrgreen:
Mr.Green

Post by Mr.Green »

winston wrote:This thread is strange.........you lot are strange for even responding. Wait what am I saying. :shock: :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”