Pickup foam pads vs rubber grommets

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

RonLovesRic12strings

Pickup foam pads vs rubber grommets

Post by RonLovesRic12strings »

Any difference in sound, feedback, etc. when using these two types of pickup mounts?
collin

Re: Pickup foam pads vs rubber grommets

Post by collin »

Nope.

The foam pads keep out dust & debris from the pickup cavities, and supposedly don't marr the older CV finish like the grommets do, but it really makes little difference. I'm a grommet fan though..
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

collin wrote:Nope.

The foam pads keep out dust & debris from the pickup cavities, and supposedly don't marr the older CV finish like the grommets do, but it really makes little difference. I'm a grommet fan though..
+1. Grommets look cool.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

collin wrote:and supposedly don't marr the older CV finish like the grommets do
Foam pads ruin CV finishes and leave a nasty stain. Only way to remove it is to refinish the guitar.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

I'm a Grommit fan as well

I like the foam best for practical reasons, although the grommets look kind of cool
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

Kind of an old thread, but I thought I would comment anyway. I recently replaced the foam pads on my 660/12 with the rubber grommets. It could definitely be a placebo effect, but to me the pickups sound a little more "airy" and "alive", not quite as boxed-in. I imagine this is how most people would compare a wax-potted pickup versus unpotted. Like I said, it could be a placebo effect and the difference is null/all in my head. But, I am happy with the change. :D
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I've never been too fond of the pads. They do discolor the finish, as they are pigmented with lamp black which migrates into the CV coating with help from the plasticizer in the foam... even rubber grommets can also do this, and vinyl grommets (the harder ones) eat into the varnish, although they don't stain.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

What about using silicone grommets, would those be a good option as far as not damaging the finish?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I would prefer thicker grommets, BTW!

Playing a nearly "fresh neck" (faaaar away from resetting) of a two years old guitar I have an additional question: When I raise the PUs more than now (what I would prefer) the grommets drop out.
Some Ideas? I think the PUs could move up to 2mm closer to the strings than now.

As You can read: I prefer the grommets (combined with the matching toasters). On my former 360/6FG from 1990 the foam pads "marked their territory". - Never again!

The PU's cavities and dust are not a problem, IMHO. - The guitar has a much bigger soundhole...

PS: The bad joke that (since decades!) some high quality guitars are equipped with cheap cable grommet seals for cushioning the PUs is so weird that it is cool again in a (very) special way. I can not imagine that as an idea of Roger Rossmeisl. Very un-german way of designing. Even 60 years ago.
gtburge1

Post by gtburge1 »

Grommets for me
stsang

Post by stsang »

Hotzenplotz wrote:Playing a nearly "fresh neck" (faaaar away from resetting) of a two years old guitar I have an additional question: When I raise the PUs more than now (what I would prefer) the grommets drop out.
Some Ideas? I think the PUs could move up to 2mm closer to the strings than now.
You could try putting two (or more) grommets instead of just one? That should double your pickup clearance above the body. For example, the pickguard uses two grommets to give it a little more height.
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Unfortunately that would be too high, wouldn't it?!
At the pickguard there is a screw that goes through the grommets, if wanted You could put three or four in a row quite easy. So far, so good.

At the PUs there only the adjusting screws. The four "corner screws" (I mean those ones that keep the whole PU together) are much too short. Wouldn't the grommets slip away?
stsang

Post by stsang »

Hotzenplotz wrote:Unfortunately that would be too high, wouldn't it?!
At the pickguard there is a screw that goes through the grommets, if wanted You could put three or four in a row quite easy. So far, so good.

At the PUs there only the adjusting screws. The four "corner screws" (I mean those ones that keep the whole PU together) are much too short. Wouldn't the grommets slip away?
You might be right - of course, I haven't tried for myself. If you screw down a bit that might provide enough pressure to keep the corner grommets in place - or they might just spring out and fall into the soundhole... :lol: Maybe a better solution is to look for larger (thicker) grommets from your local hardware store? Sorry - I don't think I'm helping anymore!
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

No, no! Your comments are appreciated!

I will cut a grommet with a scalpel.

O.K., now I have to go to the next hardwarestore...

BTW: I was searching the web for bigger ones, already. For 2mm more thickness the diameter is muuuch bigger - ugly.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

All this talk makes me want some cheese!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”