Newcomer-refinishing a 650S ?

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

dobiegillis

Post by dobiegillis »

Hi Folks,
This is my first post. I received my Rickenbacker 650S yesterday and I joined the forum last night ! I’m a 70 year old codger who, up until about two years ago, had not touched a guitar for 25+ years. I have an acoustic and a semi-hollow body, and I wanted a solid body….but not just any solid body. I wanted a short scale and a wide fingerboard, and I had almost given up hope that such an animal existed, until about 10 days ago. Then I happened upon a post in another forum that stated that certain Rickenbackers had those specs. I found this 650S on Ebay, I’m sure paid too much for it, but here I am.
I play strictly finger style, and I fall squarely in the “Pitiful Picker” category. I tried it out a little today and found everything is a bit awkward. But I’m sure time and practice will help that somewhat. In the meantime I have a couple of questions.
Being raised by parents that survived the Depression and WWII, I am perhaps cursed with an outlook demanding that all my “stuff” be kept in near perfect condition. With that in mind, this guitar needs some cosmetic help. I have read a number of posts over the last few days about this, but I seemed to get more confused the more I read. A couple of my questions are :
1 – Is the entire guitar (including body, neck, and fingerboard) finished in the same manner and with the same oil ? If so, I assume that I can use the same procedure for refinishing all the parts. I intend to use Watco Danish oil, as recommended by someone in the forum. Will that be satisfactory for everything ?
2 – The guitar really needs to be cleaned before refinishing, particularly the neck and fretboard. Will the Watco clean as it is being used, or should I use some other method first ?
Answers to those two question will certainly help get me on my way. Can someone give an old guy a hand ?
Thanks !
Dobie
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Newcomer-refinishing a 650S ?

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome to the Forum, Dobie!
dobiegillis wrote:...
1 – Is the entire guitar (including body, neck, and fingerboard) finished in the same manner and with the same oil ? If so, I assume that I can use the same procedure for refinishing all the parts. I intend to use Watco Danish oil, as recommended by someone in the forum. Will that be satisfactory for everything ?
2 – The guitar really needs to be cleaned before refinishing, particularly the neck and fretboard. Will the Watco clean as it is being used, or should I use some other method first ? ...
1. Tes

2. Watco will work fine.

I had a 650S that needed some cleaning, and I used pure tung oil with a Scotchbrite pad to great success.

It might help if you could prIovide more information on what refinishing you are planning on performig (I assume it's a lot of sanding).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
dobiegillis

Post by dobiegillis »

Thanks for the quick response, Doctor.
Perhaps "refinish" in not the correct term. I just want to clean the finish a bit, and add a little luster to the finish. Right now it looks sorta dull....faded even ! From what you said, maybe the Watco and a Scotch-Brite is all I need. I'll give it a try !

Dobie
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Thanks for the clarification. I think your plan will work fine. Based on my experience with my former 650S, it may take more than one treatment to get all the dirt and grime off. You'll be able to tell when a wipe-off with a clean white cloth shows no more dirt coming off. :D

BTW, scratches can be removed with fine sandpaper and the surface re-oiled - it'll look like new!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Here some cleaning method for the fingerboard - especially to remove sticky dust from the skin!. A conservator told me that for an easy, fast and gentle work:

Mix about 1/4 of 5% vinegar and about 3/4 of wood oil, shake it and wipe the board by using a cotton cloth.
This cleans and preserves in one work step. And it is so easy!
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

And to be perfectly clear, although the 650S has a small body, it isn't a short scale guitar ala a 325. 24 & 3/4 scale with a wider than usual Rickenbacker neck. Great guitar.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Welcome aboard the RRF, Dobie. :)
When you get a chance, let's see some "before and after" pictures of your clean-up of this 650 !

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”