Pickguard colors... I NEED opinions....

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Fuzzy Thoughts

Pickguard colors... I NEED opinions....

Post by Fuzzy Thoughts »

So.. It's time. It's time to order the new guard for my fretless..

I am aware I must fix holes... but [one of five words I can't say here] there are holes all over the bass that I need to refix... why do people do this? I mean why? how does this look better...

Anyway.. I just don't know if I want to get a white pickguard for it.. I think black would be cool but that cheap copy of Lemmey's out to lunch bass makes not sure.. Silver might bee neat too... but I can't find a good pict of silver over mapleglo... maybe clear over white...

anyone?
bosco64
Veteran RRF member

Re: Pickguard colors... I NEED opinions....

Post by bosco64 »

Gold looks fantastic with Mapleglo...
"Keep smiling, keep your mouth shut, and nobody gets hurt!" :mrgreen:
Don't bust Mike's chops...
'05 4003 BBR; '99 4001V63 FG; '96 4003S Trans Blue (custom refin from Paul W.)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Consider a C64 pickguard for that bass; it would cover a lot of sins. RIC part no. 03504.
Fuzzy Thoughts

Post by Fuzzy Thoughts »

bosco64 wrote:Gold looks fantastic with Mapleglo...
Hmm... not sure if that is me though.. will give it thought.. still that adds weight to my silver idea in a roundabout way...

johnallg wrote:Consider a C64 pickguard for that bass; it would cover a lot of sins. RIC part no. 03504.
:twisted: I agree since I kind'a did that on my other two, I like that shape of guard best actually. But really it won't cover anything up.. the "thing on the bass is still outside the lines of a C64... and... before that it looks like the bass had a full body guard... I guess they didn't like the color or something..
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Fuzzy Thoughts wrote:
bosco64 wrote:Gold looks fantastic with Mapleglo...
Hmm... not sure if that is me though.. will give it thought.. still that adds weight to my silver idea in a roundabout way...

johnallg wrote:Consider a C64 pickguard for that bass; it would cover a lot of sins. RIC part no. 03504.
:twisted: I agree since I kind'a did that on my other two, I like that shape of guard best actually. But really it won't cover anything up.. the "thing on the bass is still outside the lines of a C64... and... before that it looks like the bass had a full body guard... I guess they didn't like the color or something..
Rout the top down the thickness of a quilted maple veneer...... :twisted:
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I'd peg all the holes, refinish the bass, and put a stock guard back on. I hope the bass was cheap, 'cause it needs about $600+ worth of repairs.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Thanks John...I need one for my '67 RM1999 and will take a look at that one.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I don't think RIC sells those guards anymore. At least they're not in the Boutique. If you do fond one, you'll need to make the radius that hugs the front lower corner of the bridge pickup surround smaller to match the early surrounds. Also, many of the early surrounds have a short front flange, whereas the C64 surround has a long front flange.
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW!!!! A Lefty.......AND Fretless!!!! NICE!!!!!!!!!

I like the White guard against the wood-grain......you know, what you already have.

Lefty4003s8

Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Hmmmm, didn't notice that bass was a lefty. You'd have to call to see if they have a lefty one.

Dane, you always had to call CS to get them.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

You might be better off getting one custom made to fit your bass from Pickguardian. You can do a tracing to cover the holes, determine which holes you want to have drilled out, and have the curve around the treble pickup the shape you want.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
Fuzzy Thoughts

Post by Fuzzy Thoughts »

Lefty4003S8 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW!!!! A Lefty.......AND Fretless!!!! NICE!!!!!!!!!
Is a righty.. laptop cams mirror inless your flip the image. :mrgreen:

aceonbass wrote:I'd peg all the holes, refinish the bass, and put a stock guard back on. I hope the bass was cheap, 'cause it needs about $600+ worth of repairs.
It was cheapish for 1974 fretless.

Really though, sound wise and playing wise it is a winner, I really like this bass. Also If I really wanted to refin it I'd do it my self, I know how... but I am not doing this. I plan on filling the holes and repairing them properly and leave it at that.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Fuzzy Thoughts wrote:Really though, sound wise and playing wise it is a winner, I really like this bass. Also If I really wanted to refin it I'd do it my self, I know how... but I am not doing this. I plan on filling the holes and repairing them properly and leave it at that.
Good plan. :wink:

If you decide to get the C64 guard, just call RIC CS and give them that number.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

bassduke49 wrote:You might be better off getting one custom made to fit your bass from Pickguardian. You can do a tracing to cover the holes, determine which holes you want to have drilled out, and have the curve around the treble pickup the shape you want.
+1... and if you really want a change of colour, black is the way to go.... looks great with MG IMHO
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Sure does:
4001FL 002.jpg
Can we have everything louder than everything else?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”